How to Get Rid of Lines on Teeth Resulting From Braces?

I had braces from the ages of 13 to 15, I am now 23. After the braces were removed I was left with these lines on my two front teeth. They are like clear lines that follow the shape my braces had, probably the result of me not brushing my teeth well. They really effect my self esteem and make my teeth look bad, is there anything I can do about them? I have heard of MI paste, but I don't have white spots they are more like clear lines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

+1
Usually those lines are very shallow and the dentist or orthodontist can just buff them away with a polishing drill.  If, after removing the lines, the part that was polished away is noticeable, it can be filled with a composite resin bonded filling to match the rest of the tooth.  This is generally a very easy situation to fix.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Easily fixed

+1
Although there is no picture we can usually easily fix these with some composite bonding.  No anesthetic necessary.

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Residual cement from braces can be hard to see

+1

It is likely that the orthodontist or dentist simply could not see all of the "glue" when taking brackets off.  Perhaps a simple polish is all that is needed.  MI paste is great for the white decalcifications, and a composite filling can be a great "last resort".

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Removal of Clear Lines

+1

My guess would be that those lines are probably bonding from the brackets that was never removed.  If this is the case it could be removed fairly easily.  I would see a dentist and have them evaluate if that is what they are.  If not, you may be looking at having some veneers placed.  Good luck. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

"White line fever!" getting rid of white lines after braces

+1

Whoa! Those nasty white lines!  I can tell you that your orthodontist hates them almost as much as you do.

Don't despair yet. There is a really cool procedure using a combination of flouride, milk protein, calcium phosphate, and few other secret ingredients.  (actually the ingredients aren't secret, just so complicated that even I don't even recognize the names, let alone know how to pronounce them.)  The teeth are first etched with a 35% solution of phosphoric acid, then the "paste" is put on the teeth and allowed to set for a few minutes.  The entire procedure is repeated several times and the patient is allowed to go home for a week.  We repeat the process as many times as necessary to get the results we want.  It helps remove both white and brown stains from the teeth.

Ok, you ask, what is the down side to this miraculous technique?  For one....if you are allergic to milk, forget it. The other problem is it doesn't work every time.   But.......when it does work it is great because it allows your dentist to fix the problem without touching your tooth with a drill, and without putting some small white filling over the white lines that will eventually stain and need replace. 

Here is another little secret.  Your dentist loves this technique because he would really like to find a way to get rid of these lines so that you will tell all your freinds what a great person he/she is, and how he/she fixed your teeth without an injection, or drilling on your teeth.  Good luck.

Raymond A. Sheridan, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Lines or scars from braces

+1

It sounds as if you may have some residual resin left on the surface of your teeth from where the brackets were bonded.  If this is the case, it can be removed quite easily, revealing your natural tooth surface.  Ask your dentist or hygienist to scrape the "clear lines" with a metal explorer--if it leaves a mark, then you have excess bonding resin which was left over from your bracket removal.

If this isn't the case, then you may need to consider restorative options (like porcelain veneers) to correct the issue.

Chad Colson, DMD
Myrtle Beach Cosmetic Dentist