How Do I Get Rid of a Keloid Scar on my Hand? (photo)

I have some type of scar on my hand. I think it's a keloid scar. It's dark in one part & then lighter than my skin color in another part. It's also risen.

Hypertrophic scar on the hand

+1

This hypertrophic scar of the hand can be improved with IIT and laser treatment.  Surgery is a less likely option for treatment.

Depends upon the scar....

+1

If the scar appears hypertrophic, a scar revision might be helpful. You need a proper evaluation by an experienced surgeon to tell the best course of action.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatments

+1

While it is very difficult to assess based on your pictures, it does appear that your scar is in fact hypertrophic (raised up) and discolored.  Treatment options include intralesional Kenalog (cortisone) injections, revision surgery, laser treatments and topical treatments.  In my office, I get great results with intralesional Kenalog and topical treatments and so that is where I would start with your scar. I recommend you consult a well-trained, board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for evaluation and discussion of treatment options. Keep in mind, it is not possible to replace a scar with no scar. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Scars

+1

it is impossible to get rid of scars completely.  Sometimes scars cna be revised if they did not heal properly.  Topical treatment may also be beneficial in some circumstances.