How Do You Get Rid of a Huge Side Gap That Could Fit a Tooth Right Back In? Do I Have to Put Veneers and Do They Hurt? (photo)

I have a huge side gap that could fit a tooth right back in. At first people couldn't really notice it and they said i had a smile of an angel and i was okay with it but my uncle noticed it and asked if i lost a tooth. I didn't. I think. Every now and then i keep looking at it. I really want to get rid of it. It never caused problems of any sort but i don't want it to affect my smile. Do you know any way to fix my problem. As long as it doesn't cause me pain in any way.

Space between teeth

+3

If you have not had a tooth extracted, there are a couple possibilities here.  Either you never developed a tooth, or the tooth has never errupted, this could be answered by taking an xray of the area.  If the tooth never developed, the best long term fix for this would be an implant with a crown.  If the tooth has not errupted there are a few options.  You could see an oral surgeon and orthodontist and have them work together to bring the tooth out and into position.  This would likely cause some discomfort.  Another option would be to place a bridge to span the gap.  I would suggest you visit your dentist and have an xray, then review your options.  Your dentist should be able to provide you with options that will cause very minimal discomfort for you, I don't think anyone can promise a completely discomfort free procedure though.  You may look into oral sedation or IV sedation if you are concerned as well. 

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Many Painfree Options are Available

+1

You have several options to close this space.  Ortho (braces) are an option.  Viewing your attached photo, it seems you would be a fairly quick case.  Brackets are placed, and the teeth moved into their correct position.

If you are missing teeth, you have several options to close the space that are fixed and non-removable.  A fixed, non-removable porcelain bridge would close the space and is completed with out any pain and in 2 short visits.  A porcelain bridge is very natural in appearance is strong in structure. 

You may also consider a single implant is a tooth is missing.  This procedure takes a little more time from beginning to end but again the result would be a natural tooth in appearance and strong for wear.

Greg Friedman, DDS
San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

Space between anterior teeth

+1

The situation with the space in your left can be explained that the tooth never erupted, or it`s still in the bone and will need some facilitation with eruption (if it is impacted). Before any conclusions will be made, you need x-rays to identify where is the problem exactly. If the tooth is in the bone, it can be erupted. If the tooth is absent, the implant can be placed. The best step for you will be the consult with an orthodontist and experienced restorative dentist.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Closing a gap may involve orthodontics and/or veneers

+1

This is a rather large space to fill. I am assuming you are not missing any teeth. If this is true, then you problem may be that your teeth in general are a bit smaller than average. If the teeth are relatively of normal size, then the problem is that your upper jaw(maxilla) is larger than average. If both teeth and jaw are normal then it could be teeth shifting or other problems. The important thing is to first diagnose the reason for the space. You need to find an experienced restorative/cosmetic dentist to do an exam and diagnose.

Based on that diagnosis you may need orthodontics (braces or invisalign) and possibly composite bondings or veneers.

Good luck

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist