How Do I Get Rid of a Frowny Face/cheeks? (photo)

I am still in college, I am about 110 and 5'3. I thought that the fat in my cheeks would go away if I lost weight but it did not. I hope this does not sound ridiculous but people constantly ask me why I am sad/angry. My face looks like it is frowning because my cheeks hang low. The first picture is me not smiling, the second picture is my pulling back my cheeks with my fingers, how do i get what i have in the second picture? Can I use filler for this

Face/cheekbone correction

+1
I agree with you that a correction of the cheekbones would give you the results you are looking for.  Either Sculptra, Restylane, or Voluma injections would help correct this look and give you higher looking cheekbones and a less "frowny" face.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections.

Volume loss in face

+1

I think you would definitely benefit from adding some volume into your upper cheeks. Start with filler injections.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift to Change Facial Shape

+1

Our facial shape is a result of our underlying bony facial skeleton, the amount of facial fat, strength of our facial muscles and skin thickness and skin texture.  Weight loss early in life generally has a beneficial effect on facial appearance.  As we age even minimal amounts of weight loss can considerably age one’s appearance.

In your case the lifting you’ve demonstrated can be achieved with facial fillers.  By precisely placing filler material into the cheek area you can contour the face to give a natural, refreshed and well balanced appearance without much downtime.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Achieving a Slimmer Look to the Face

+1

You are right to note that losing weight did not change your facial shape. In many patients, fuller cheeks are not from weight gain but actually just a genetic trait inherited in families. And losing weight often will not change this type of fullness. I agree that by building up the cheek bones, you can get closer to that "ideal" upside-down triangular shape to the female face - wider at the cheeks then slimming down towards the chin. It may also be wise to consider minimally-invasive laser liposuction to remove some of the fullness in the lower cheeks and tighten the skin along the jawline. The position and contour of your chin in the side view can also influence the look of your jaw and neck line. Make sure to discuss this with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who will examine your facial structure from all angles.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical face lift

+1

Adding volume to your upper cheeks with Juvederm or Perlane would help lift your lower cheeks and bring more attention to your beautiful eyes.  I would also use Botox and filler to lift the corners of your mouth to make you look happier.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lifting cheeks in a young patient

+1

Thanks for posting your photos that really helps. At your young age filing your cheeks could give them a lift and simulate what you see when you smile. You could also soften your folds below the corner of your mouth in the same way. Fillers like restylane and Juvederm are the simplist and safest to use and I would start there.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek lift

+1

Dear Veronica,

As you can see in the pictures, when you smile, and lift up the cheeks, you are essentially adding volume to the upper cheeks.  Fat transfers are great for a longer lasting result and they will go away as you get older.  By then, the rest of your face is likely to catch up and balance itself out.  Temporary fillers like Restylane and Juvederm are great as well.  The catch is that it would take a few syringes and it lasts for about a year or so.  A consultation would definitely answer all of your questions more specifically.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

How Do I Get Rid of a Frowny Face/cheeks?

+1

Aesthetically speaking your cheeks are quite flat while the lower portion of the face retains an excess amount of fat which is common in youth.  Cheek Augmentation might be an option depending upon your age.  This would convert the shape, of your face, from round to a more heart-shaped which is perceived as feminine and attractive.

+1

The photos posted are very helpful. You can either add to the cheek area with fillers or fat grafts as one choice. Or lipo the lower face. Or a possible buccal fat pad removal. Or a combination of all or part. Seek in person evaluations from boarded PS in your area. 

+1

Sculptra adds volume to the face.  In our practice, we concentrate on the cheek area, this in turn helps to lift the lower face and jowels. 

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS