How Do I Get Rid of Dark Under Eye Circles? (photo)

35 year old white male with dark under eye circles. Tried 2 treatments unsuccessfully: 1) laser by dermatologist, 2) 8 weeks of teamine. The laser treatment left me with white dots in tear trough area. I saw a small improvement with Teamine but not much. The doctor also recommended arnica montana-may try that next. What is the best way to obtain even tone and texture (no more dots or discoloration) in the under eye region? Also, while I research treatments, what is the best method of concealment?

Restylane Can Improve Dark Circles Under Eyes

+2

Based in your photos, you appear to have hollow circles under your eyes that are making your dark discoloration worse. I have had good success with filling the hollow area, also known as the tear trough, with injectable fillers such as Restylane. Once the hollow is filled, the dark shadow often improves. It's important to identify the source of the dark circle prior to treatment. If the darkness is due to shadow caused by hollowing, laser or teamine won't help. 

Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Under Eye Circles

+2

Hi Helmut.  It appears that you have a good amount of volume loss in this area as well as deep set eyes.  To correct this, we would suggest injection procedures with Restylane.  You would likely require 2-3 cc at the first treatment and results can be expected to last a year or more.  

Make sure to find an injector that uses a technique "under the muscle" otherwise the product can appear like pouches under the eyes.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

The causes of under eye dark circles and non-surgical solutions to treat it

+1

The eyelid skin is the thinnest skin in the body. It’s half a millimeter in thickness and anything that breaks down the collagen in the skin will cause the dark circles and the fine lines to occur.

Dark under eye circles are caused by a lot of factors. One is genetics and heredity that causes skin pigmentation. Sun exposure, smoking and stress can also play a major role in making the skin crêpey-looking and can age the skin faster. On the other hand, chronic allergies or allergic shiners can cause a bluish quality under the eyes. And if your skin is very light, then you would be able to see through the bluish or reddish quality of the muscle underneath.

Platelet-rich plasma is a very interesting method that we employ. The patient comes in the office and we draw blood like a routine blood test. We then spin it and isolate the platelets and inject it into the area with the dark cirlces.  It stimulates collagen, blood flow and blood supply to the skin, improving the its luster.

Other options that we employ in our practice include fractional CO2 lasers. Any laser that takes off the top laser skin can allow tightening and new collagen to occur and can improve the appearance of dark circles. I also developed a particular cream called Eye Rescue that improves the plumpness of the superficial level of the skin. Sometimes, under eye skin can look wrinkled and dark so I came up with a moisturizer with active ingredients that has a slight tint to it. It smoothes out the irregularities of the skin.  I hope that was helpful to you, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of dark undereye skin - eyelid bags

+1

First line treatment for undereye darkening includes topical Melarase cream and Retin A, followed by a combination of laser resurfacing and pulsed dye laser. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Dark Circles under eyes

+1

Thank you for your question about dark circles under your eyes,

• I can't zoom in on the photo so advice is based on your text,
  • color from skin pigment is corrected with tretinoin and hydroquinone,
  • a TCA peel may be added,
  • avoid phenol peels, having had a laser
  • fat transplants may help if skin is very thin,
  • See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for detailed advice,  

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Photo is not great quality.

+1

A photo is helpful, but an in-person evaluation is more valuable, and your photo is very small for us to accurately evaluate.

In general, there are three reasons why the skin around the eyes can be [or seem] darker:

1. The thin eyelid skin allows the darker muscle underneath to show [laser may be helpful]

2. The hollowness around the eyes can create a shadow effect that exacerbates darkness [fillers maybe helpful]

3. Skin pigmentation [sometimes from blood products from bruising]  If it is blood    product pigmentation, it could last months to improve.

Depending on which of the above is the issue, different modalities may be helpful [time, fillers, laser resurfacing, skin lightening creams, concealer etc].

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark circles under eyes

+1

I agree with the other doctor - I think filler injections in your under area (and possibly your upper cheeks) will help. Make sure to find a doctor who is experienced in this procedure.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of dark circles under eyes

+1

It's difficult to tell from your picture alone if the darkness is due strictly to discoloration or if there is some shadowing due to depression in the tear trough area.  If there is a depression there, then a filler like Restylane could be used to help fill in that area.  This normally would improve the darkness caused by any shadowing.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon