Best Way to Get Rid of Boxcar Scars?

i'm a 17 year old girl i have boxcar scars on my cheeks and i hate them... they have caused me to shy away from people and made me feel so ashamed of myself. i need help to get rid of these, i went to a dermatologist and they said (fraxel) will give me wonderful results... i'm afraid of being scammed out of my money. :( i just need something that works... please help.

Acne Box Car Scars and treatment options and avoid getting scammed

+2

You definitely want to find the most honest person you can find. That is hard. But follow your intuition. We try to take care of people in the most fair way. There are times when we do treatments complimentary if we feel it is fair for them. But we treat this on a case by case basis. Your box cars will need a multilayered approach. co2 resurfacing will play a significant part in process.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar treatment - box car scars

+1

There are various options for acne scars, and box scar scars typically do quite well with a fractionated laser of which there are now several types. Many people have mixed type scarring, and so other methods may need to be used adjunctively such as subcision or TCA CROSS therapy. Chemical peels and microdermabrasion will provide modest results, at less cost and downtime, but most people with deeper scars don't find this sufficient. Best to speak with a dermatologist you trust about your acne scar treatment options.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Boxcar Scars

+1

There is more than one type of Fraxel laser.  The Fraxel Restore laser is non-ablative and is less aggressive with less downtime.  The Fraxel Repair is ablative with more downtime.  Both non-ablative and ablative fractional lasers are commonly used for acne scars.  I often start with ablative fractional laser to get the most rapid initial improvement (one or more treatments) and then I follow up with non-ablative fractional laser for continued collagen stimulation and further smoothing of the scars.  Another treatment that I commonly use is dermaroller or microneedling.   Acne scars usually benefit from multiple treatment sessions and combination treatment with different modalities.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Combination treatment with subcision, Derma -K Laser Resufacing, and Fraxel Repair laser give me the best results.

+1

Combination treatment with subcision, Derma-K Laser Resurfacing, and Fraxel Repair Laser give me the best results.  Treatment of box scars is complicated and requires a combined approach to get the best results.  There are other options, but this work by for the best in my hands.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon