How Do I Get Rid of my Baby Belly Pouch After a C-section?

I am 24 years old a mother of 1 and he is now 16 months old. I had my son by c-section; I used to have a great slim body and now I am very depressed over my baby belly pouch. I work out 5 times a weeks a eat very healthy. I would like to know how do I get rid of the pouch? I am also numb from the belly button to the top of my vagina and it's not getting any better. What do I do? Every piece of advice is very much appreciated.

Baby Pouch Gone

The problem and feelings you have are very common after childbirth. You are probably an excellent candidate for mini or full tummy tuck surgery.  The choice would depend on the amount of excess skin present and your abdominal muscle tone. In either case your old C-section would be removed and every attempt made to hide your surgical scar in your bathing suit line. To find more make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Mommy Makeover or tummy tuck after pregancy

most women who have had several babies are usally good candidates for a tummy tuck. abdominoplasty removes loose excess abdominal skin while tightening the muscles. when a tummy tuck is combined wiht a breast augmentation surgery, it is called a mommy makeover.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after c-section

stretching of the muscle and skin of the belly is common after pregnancy. This can appear to be accentuated by the c-section scar, especially if the scar is somewhat retracted. A tummy tuck is the procedure of choice to correct this problem. If there is significant fat excess, preliminary liposuction of the abdomen may be needed. The numbness is not likely to improve.

This information is for educational purposes and is not a substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

How to get rid of right baby belly pouch after a C-section?

It sounds as though you have done everything you can to help restore your prepregnancy abdominal contour. If you're remaining "pouch" is due to some residual excess fat and your skin is of good quality, and not loose, liposuction should provide a nice improvement. If you have some excess fat in the lower abdomen and your excess skin is confined to the lower abdomen and does not extend above the navel a mini tummy tuck would be a good solution. If however you have loose skin both above and below the navel you would require a full abdominoplasty for optimal recontouring.With both the mini and full tummy tuck your C-section scar would be removed.  Be sure to consult a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who performs abdominal recontouring procedures on a regular basis. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin won't improve with diet/exercise.

It’s not unusual for women to experience significant changes in their bodies following pregnancy. These changes may include redundant saggy skin, weakened abdominal muscles, fat accumulation and stretch marks. These changes are often refractory to diet and exercise and for this reason correction usually requires surgery.
In the vast majority of cases abdominoplasty or mini-abdominoplasty are indicated to correct these problems. Although it’s difficult to make a specific recommendation in any particular patient without a physical examination or pictures, your history suggest that you would benefit from one of these procedures.
It’s therefore important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience performing these procedures. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

Excess Skin and Fat Can Be Removed With a Tummy Tuck

It is very difficult to eliminate unwanted fat in the abdominal area. Loose, excess skin may also contribute to the formation of your "pouch". For these reasons, you may benefit from a tummy tuck. 

Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I see many patients like yourself who are very frustrated in that ,despite  aggressive diet and exercise,  they are not able to get rid of the abdominal wall “pouch”. Unfortunately, sometimes there is no  alternative  other than acceptance or tummy tuck surgery. Liposuction, in these cases, only leaves patients disappointed.

I was just consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon after you have completed pregnancies. 

Belly pouch

Just what to do depends on how big this pouch is.Maybe some simple liposuction is all that is needed.Perhaps a simple scar revision with lipo or maybe a mini abdominoplasty.It depends on the degree of deformity.The numbness hopefully will go away soon.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Getting rid of baby belly pouch

I can understand your frustration. Even after losing all the baby weight, one can be left with a "baby belly pouch."  This can be due to excess skin and/or excess fat.  If it is mostly due to excess fat, liposuction may be a good option.  However, if it is due to excess skin, you will need a tummy tuck.  If you are done having babies, visit a plastic surgeon for a consultation.  She/he will be able to guide you to the right option for you.

Belly after C-section

If you have excess skin hanging over your C-section scar and have a "pouch", you may benefit from a tummy tuck which will remove the excess skin and tighten your abdominal muscles.  The numbness is quite common after a C-section and may not improve that much since it's already been 16 months.  I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to review your surgical options (tummy tuck vs mini-tummy tuck +/- liposuction).

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD