Do I need a thigh lift or will lipo work? (Photo)

I lost about 65lbs after lap-band surgery and my thighs are excessively large and I'm forming saddle bags on the outer left side. As much diet and exercise I do, nothing improves it. I really want to avoid a thigh lift and would prefer to have liposuction done if it will improve the shape. But will my skin sag more?

Avoiding a thigh lift

+3
Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  I believe you will need a thigh lift. Before doing that I would in any case liposuction your thighs beforehand. This allows me to get an even better result when the thigh lift is done. So go ahead with the liposuction first and if satisfied then you won't need to do the thigh lift later. Good luck.
Peter Fisher M.D. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Bulgy saddle bag after weight loss

+1
From the photos, liposuction may be all you need.

But your skin will be loose after weight loss and is likely to be looser still after liposuction.

Have liposuction. Let it heal for 6 months and if skin is too loose, have a thigh lift. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lipo or thigh lift?

+1
Thanks for your question. Liposuction alone would probably improve your thighs but may leave you with loose skin. You may eventually need a thigh lift to achieve the look you want, but there is no reason you can't try lipo first. An evaluation in person with a Board Certified PS would be my recommendation. Congrats on your weight loss and good luck.

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift

+1
Congratulations
As you know after a lot of weight loss the skin permanently loses some of its elasticity which commonly can set someone up for disappointing results from lipo alone.On the other hand ,many patients after banding still have a fair amount of leftover local fat.So for best results many need both a lift and liposuction.Depending on your contour,skin tone and excess and other technical factors your surgeon may even suggest staging the two procedures for safety's sake

Robert Savage, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is an option

+1
Congratulations on your weight-loss. Thanks for your pictures.  
I think you can benefit from liposuction. My only hesitation would be because you are weight-loss patient that your skin quality may not be the best and liposuction will cause sagging of the skin. This can only be determined by physical examination.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Do I need a thigh lift or will lipo work?

+1
From your history and photos, I would agree with Dr Fisher.  I would suggest starting with liposuction and then allow at least 6 months for healing.  If at that time the skin looseness is a problem you could consider a  thigh lift, however you may be pleased with the liposuction alone.  The risks, with regard to healing, would be considerably less with the liposuction.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1
Liposuction removes the fat. The skin has lost it's elasticity, and will sag.If the sagging and rippling of the skin bothers you then you will need a thigh lift