Age 30, African American woman with 1 child via c-section. I'd like a BL w/implants and a TT. Will scarring be an issue? (Photo)

Should I wait until after I'm done having kids to get a tummy tuck? Can I get the breast lift with implants now and still be able to breast feed? Will scaring be an issue? Should I do everything at once? If I get a tummy tuck now and then get pregnant will the baby have room to grow?

No vertical scarring with Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM.Breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.Implants are not required if you are satisfied with the current volume of your breasts.I would not recommend an abdominoplasty until you are done having children.Once you are done having children, I recommend Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.Mesh increases the mechanical strength of the abdominal wall resulting in early satiety, weight loss and maintains the reduced weight.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Will scarring be an issue after breast lift, augmentation and tummy tuck?

+1
Unfortunately scarring is a potential complication associated with any type of surgery.  A well trained and experienced plastic surgeon however should have the skills to minimize scarring.  Some things however are out of your surgeon's control.  If a wound infection or wound healing problems should occur your scarring could be worse.  Patients who have dark skin are at greater risk for darker scars or possible keloid formation.  A good indicator of your potential for future unfavorable scarring would be the quality of scarring you may have incurred with previous surgery or injury.  It would be best to have an in-depth discussion with your surgeon after he or she has had the ability to examine you and consider your past scarring history.  Very likely you will do fine and enjoy a good result.  Good block

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation of incisions in dark complected individuals can be an issue.

+1
Most the time the aesthetic problems in black patients is hyperpigmentation of the scars. It doesn't occur in everyone however. Breast augmentation will not affect your ability to breast feed in the future. If you are good health I would suggest that all procedures be done at one time provided your surgeon thinks this is in your best interest.

Considering mommy make-over

+1
  1. Yes, you should wait to have your surgery until you finish having your family - 
  2. Women with implants can breast feed - but less likely than women without breast implants
  3. The breast lift may make it less likely that you can breast feed,
  4. Your breasts may droop again if you have a lift and then get pregnant
  5. The scars will usually be fine but preparation of the skin with 4% hydroquinone will reduce the risk of dark scars,
  6. In an ideal world, the surgery is split into two sessions - but we don't like in an ideal world and most women want everything done at once, despite the slightly higher risk of blood clots and other complications,
  7. Great questions - best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Age 30, African American woman with 1 child via c-section. I'd like a BL w/implants and a TT. Will scarring be an issue?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.  

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.   Achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding will increase the safety of the operation and decreased chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently.   

When it comes to selection of your plastic surgeon, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful: 

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to African-American patient concerns), helps.

Mommy makeover

+1
Thank you for your question.  From your photos alone, it looks like you could be a great candidate for a mommy makeover.  However, if you are planning to have more children, I would recommend you hold off on the tummy tuck until you are all done with kids.  You can consider procedure(s) for your breast, but just like with your tummy, a future pregnancy can affect the appearance of your breasts.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a mommy makover. However, if you are stll seeking children then wait. A pregnancy may not affect the tummy as much as the breast lift.

After 29 years of mommy makeovers in the Miami area, I can tell you that I have had several patients become pregnant following their tummy tucks. With the only exception of a twin pregnancy in which I re-did her tummy, I have never had to go back to re-do tummies.

Having both procedures done at the same time is more cost effective and entail only one anesthesia and one recovery period. I answer all of the questions personally and encourage you to contact our institute should you need further clarification.

I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery/tummy tucks and are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

TT and breast lift

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

You're the perfect candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction to the waist, upper and lower back. The breast lift in an anchor incision with placement of implants to enhance your breast in a natural look. This can cost between $7,500 - 8,500.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Scars for Mommy make over...

+1
Yes you could have significant scars... Best to seek ONLY IN PERSON consultations.. If even the thought of a possible pregnancy DO NOT do the TT....

Body and breast contouring

+1
Thank you for your pictures. I recommend that you complete your family plans before entertaining any breast or body contouring.  Typically, after the placement of implants and a breast lift you should be able to breast-feed. Scarring depends on your history with injuries and/or incisions. These issues are best answered with an in-person consultation.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS