Should I Do Situps Before my Abdominoplasty?

I'm 22 and lost 80 lbs in the past 3 years, and 30 lbs when I was in high school. Both times I could never get my abdominal muscles to become defined no matter how much I did. I'm getting an extended abdominoplasty with liposuction to the flanks in 2 months (this december) where they will be tightening my abdominal mucles. I've read in some places that you shouldn't do abdominal crunches as this could worsen the condition, but then some say that it can only help? Which one is it? Thanks.

Tummy tuck and abdominal exercises

+1

Hi,

I think any exercise before and eventually after the tummy tuck procedure is a good idea.

There is no evidence whatsoever that it would be negative to your procedure.

You have so many good things going for you not the least of which is your age and the motivation that you obviously have to improve your body contours.

Do your exercises, look forward to a great body contouring procedure that will do so much to boost your confidence in the future.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York 

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Should I Do Situps Before my Abdominoplasty

+1

Continuing your fitness routine will help maintain the habits you developed that helped you lose all that weight. I would continue up to the time of surgery, and then resume according to the schedule your surgeon will provide. 

Even in the unlikely event that crunches "could worsen the situation" your surgeon will be addressing that part of the problem and it will not make the surgery more difficult or less effective. j

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

TT preop exercise

+1

There's no good evidence to say it will help with your surgery, other than the general health benefits gained from being in shape. It also shouldn't negatively influence your abdominoplasty surgery. You will have to take it easy postop however. 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C) 

Sit-ups 2 Months Before Abdominoplasty

+1

You can absolutely continue to do sit-ups or any other exercise before your upcoming surgery.  Staying in good shape with exercising is one of the best ways to maintain what you have worked so hard for in the past 3 years.  Congratulations on losing 80 lbs, that is a great accomplishment.  It sounds like you are motivated to do well.  Good luck! 

Sit-ups before tummy tuck

+1
It's always great to be in the best possible shape going into surgery. Congratulations on the weight loss and definitely keep exercising prior to your procedure. You will need to abstain from sit-ups and crunches for at least 6-8 weeks postop so plan now for a low-impact exercise program including walking, lower and upper body exercises when your doctor clears you to begin physical activity.

Stregthening Ab's before Tummy Tuck helps!

+1

Your muscle repair will be better if you do those crunches before surgery!

A stronger fascia (the tissue layer over the muscle) will hold the stitches better. Stitches can "cheese wire" or tear through a weak fascia.

It is hard to imagine how the exercise could "make the condition worse" (except, perhaps, in the case of a painful hernia).

Let your Ab's take a break right after surgery!  To allow adequate healing of the muscle repair, I tell my patients to avoid sit-ups or any activity that strains the abdominal muscles for 6 weeks post-op.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon