Circumferential or Extended Abdominoplasty in Regards to Results of Abdominal Wall Repair?

I consulted with 3 different plastic surgeons for my stomach.I'm a male who lost 135 lbs over the course of 5 years w/ damage to my abdominal wall.They said I'm a candidate for full circumferential or extended skin removal in addition to the muscle repair.My question is, would the benefits of the muscle repair be better with the full circumferential due to their being less skin on the back to hold my core down or does it not matter which I get in regards to the abdominal repair turnout?

Circumferential body lift vs. tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1

In both a tummy tuck and a body lift, the anterior abdominal muscles are plicated (repaired/tightened).  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston TX

Tummy Tuck or Circumferential Lift and Muscle Plication

+1

The muscle plication involves the anterior abdominal wall.  The rest of the decision rests upon the degree of skin laxity.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

It really depends on how your plastic surgeon performs a circumferential body lift and an abdominoplasty. The critical element is if indeed the abdominal muscular wall is tightened and how the muscle is repaired. Most, but not all, plastic surgeons tighten the rectus muscle during an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. In addition, most, but not all, plastic surgeons tighten the rectus muscle during a 360 lower body lift or circumferential body lift. Thus, it is most important to check with your individual plastic surgeon how they repair the abdominal wall.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Muscle repair and abdominoplasty

+1

Whether you undergo an extended tummy tuck or full circumferential tuck, the muscle repair portion of the procedure will be identical.  the deciding factor on which type of tummy tuck you have will depend on where you have extra skin. If you have loose skin that extends all the way around your waist, the circumferential tuck makes sense.  The muscle tightening procedure is done in the midline of the abdomen, so can be done with either type of tummy tuck.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

+1

There would be no difference in how the muscle repair is done whether you have a standard or extended tummy tuck, or a circumferential (belt) lipectomy. The result of the muscle tightening would also not be affected by which of the skin reductive procedures you choose.

Choose between the alternatives based upon the benefits and risks. Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Abdominal muscle repair is the same in abdomioplasty

+1

Abdominal muscle repair is the same in standard, extended, and circumferential abdominoplasty. The abdominal muscle repair is performed anteriorly by approximating the rectus muscles. An extended and circumferential will result in more removal of skin and fat.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Type of tummy tuck does not affect the muscle repair.

+1

Thank you for your question. The type of tummy tuck that you get does not affect the muscle repair. A good muscle tightening can be done with a full tuck, extended tuck, circumferential tuck for a fleur-de-lis tuck. Only a mini-tuck limits the muscle repair to just below the umbilicus.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Body lift and extended abdominoplasty

+1

When I perform any type of tummy tuck including a body lift, or extended abdominoplasty, I always tighten and "repair" the abdominal wall muscle. This helps to make the abdomen flat as well as giving a patient a better core support.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Extended abdominoplasty vs lower body lift

+1

Congratulations on losing the weight. It is a major accomplishment. The muscle repair performed will be the same regardless of how the skin is handled. The extended tummy tuck will not address the outer thigh or buttock laxity the way a lower body lift will. There will be no functional difference noticeable between the procedures it is purely cosmetic. Given the 135 lb weight loss I would predict the lower body lift will yield a better overall cosmetic improvement. I hope this was helpful and good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon