What factors come into play for a procedure like rib graft that will increase/decrease the price? (photos)

I was recently quoted for a rib graft rhinoplasty at 15,000 plus 900 for a mandatory overnight stay at post surgical recovery hotel (with a nurse). (Beverly Hills plastic surgeon) Is this a reasonable price? Is an overnight stay at a medical facility necessary? What factors come into play for a procedure like this that will increase/decrease the price? My personal needs: dorsal augmentation, minimal tip projection and no alarplasty. *currently have juvederm filler (injected 2/2014)

Cost of RIb graft for asian rhinoplasty

+1
The cost of using rib graft for building the bridge for nasal dorsum depends on the following:

1. The experience of the surgeon and his expertise 
2. The time being spend in the OR
3. The cost of anesthesia and operating facility

For Asian rhnioplasty I would recommend the following.

1. if needed, building the bridge with septal or ear cartilage graft wrapped in temporalis fascia
2. Narrowing the base with alarplasty, and narrowing the base of the nose
3. refinning the tip of the nose with suture and tip grafts

Using the above techniques you can get a great result with a natural looking nose.

Rib grafts

+1
Rib grafts for Asian rhinoplasty is a loser of a procedure.  They often look unnatural and the cost is ridiculous.  I can see refining your tip and narrow the nostrils with alar resections.  It will give you nice refinement at a much lower cost.  I would forget about trying to build up your basal bridge.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty with low dorsum

+1
If you have not had a nose procedure in past, then you do not need a rib graft to achieve elevation of the bridge of your nose. There are several other ways of elevating it from a nasal implant which works quite well in the majority of cases to using your septum to ear cartilage! A rib graft I save if all the others fail. It is quite an invasive procedure with unnecessary trauma,scars to chest! The costs of the other procedures are much more reasonable and the results comparable, if not better!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Factors involved in augmentation rhinoplasty

+1
The costs for augmentation rhinoplasty usually depend on:

1) Time required for the procedure. The more time that is needed the higher the costs for both anesthesia and operating room facility costs.
2) Experience of the surgeon - A surgeon with more experience in rhinoplasty surgery will command a higher fee.
3) Location - it is well known that the geographic area will dictate the cost of the surgery considerably and in Beverly Hills, surgeons usually have higher fees.
4) The degree of difficulty - whether rib cartilage is harvested with deep temporalis fascia vs. ear cartilage changes the degree of difficulty

Rib cartilage grafting is the best option in a dorsum that requires considerable augmentation and provides a natural appearance without the risk for rejection, implant failure or infection. In my experience, I rarely need to keep a patient in a recovery room or hospital overnight after augmentation rhinoplasty using rib cartilage. Your surgeon may be applying due caution in your case. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

What factors come into play for a procedure like rib graft that will increase/decrease the price?

+1
So many issues that ONLY in person discussion is the way you should proceed. Rib cartilage grafting is not an easy operation thus the expenses are acceptable. 

Cost of Rib Graft Rhinoplasty

+1
There are a variety of factors that can affect the price of any surgery, a rib graft rhinoplasty notwithstanding. That price you were quoted in not inconsistent for that geographic region but many other areas of the country it may be substantially less.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

The cost of a rhinoplasty

+1
The cost of the rhinoplasty was driven by 3 factors: surgeons fee, operating room time, and anesthesia time.  The longer the surgical procedure, the more expensive the operating room and anesthesia is going to be. When harvesting  a rib graft, there is a very small chance that you could get a pneumothorax and need additional medical care for that.

+1
There is a wide range of costs for rhinoplasty. The number you quoted is certainly not out of the ordinary. Rather than trying to parse out the price, the most important consideration is finding the right surgeon for you and the changes you are looking to make to your nose. Regardless of price if you feel that you have not found the right surgeon keep looking. You have plenty of options in your area! I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
   I would use septal or ear cartilage rather than rib.  This would negate the overnight stay.  Cost is always hard to judge.  The price is not unreasonable.

Price varies a lot in rhinoplasty--rib takes longer so is usually more expensive.

+1
Regarding the overnight stay, this is based on the judgment of your surgeon and most likely his or her past experience with rib patients.  I personally do a lot of rib grafts and I do not require an overnight stay for my patients.  But the practices of different surgeons vary quite a lot based on their techniques, philosophies, and other considerations.  I do believe that rib is the best choice for dorsal augmentation more than a few millimeters rather than an implant.  Best of luck to you.  For your reference is a link to a video I produced about dorsal augmentation in Asian patients. 

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon