Rib, Ear or Synthetic Cartlage?

I am coming back to my previous question. I am have a secondary (really about a fourth) rhinoplasty. Dr. R of Dallas, Tx is going to be doing it. He is going to probably use my rib for the build up. My nose is in really bad shape. It has very thick scar tissue, etc. My sister's dr. used some new synthetic implant that's been out about three yrs. now. What do you all think is the best to use? Ear, rib or synthetic? Thanks a bunch!

Rib, Ear, or Synthetic Cartilage, What is Best for Difficult Rhinoplasty Revision?

+2

Hi Cheri,

You have chosen an excellent rhinoplasty surgeon.  The best implant for you will be the implant that Dr. Rorhich decides is best for you.  Relax and enjoy your newly revised nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Rebuilidng a nose

+2

If it is the Dr. R I know, then you are in good hands.  I personally prefer rib cartilage to build the dorsum up.

Rib, Ear or Synthetic Cartlage

+2

Dr. Jack Gunter of Dallas is one of the BEST in nose reconstruction in the USA. Seek a consultation from him. I bet he would use rib also as I would recommend rib cartilage/bone in a difficult reconstruction of the nose. 

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Cheri, it sounds as if you need the best material possible, one that has the highest level of reliability. For this reason, although we all tend to want the latest, newest thing, your own rib cartilage probably has the best chance of survival while maintaining the desired shape as well. Where you have had multiple previous surgeries, the scarring in the area where the graft is to be placed makes it a fairly poor one for a graft to take and survive. This is why your own cartilage makes the most sense. Ear cartilage is usually not thick enough, straight enough or strong enough to support the areas that need supporting.

You chose Dr. R for good reason. Trust those reasons.

Verne Weisberg, MD

Rib, Ear or Synthetic Cartlage?

+1

In your case rib seems appropriate, and you have an experienced surgeon.  We prefer autogenous cartilage, starting with septum, then ear, then rib, and if the patient does not want the morbidity of rib donor site then we use irradiated cartilage.

Ramtin Kassir, MD Facial Plastic Surgeon NY, NJ

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your own cartilage preferred material for rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Hi Cheri Wheeler,

As most plastic surgeons agree, your own tissue and cartilage is the preferred material for rhinoplasty surgery. Cartilage typically come for the nasal septum, ear, or rib. Each patient is unique, so while for one patient ear cartilage may be better, rib could be preferred for someone else. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib,Ear, or Synthetic Cartilage in Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

If you're referring to Dr. Rohrich, he is an excellent surgeon. I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage in revision rhinoplasty surgery.

Please send more information and pictures

+1

The best option will depend on the problem. I do not like the rib cartilage because of the problem with wrapping and also doner site.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon