Rib/ear cartilage or a silicone graft/implant? I don't want my nose to have any side effects in 30yrs time. (photo)

British African, I'm willing to travel anywhere around the world to get surgery. I am 17 years old.

Rib/ear cartilage or a silicone graft/implant? I don't want my nose to have any side effects in 30yrs time.

+1

It is better to avoid grafts or implants if not necessary as both have negative aspects.

Nasal cartilage for bridge line augmentation

+1

Nasal cartilage would be the primary choice for augmentation of the nasal bridge during the rhinoplasty procedure. If is not enough cartilage present in the nose, consideration for a rib graft or a Flowers Silastic nasal dorsal implant could be entertained. Please see the length below for many examples in our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty and grafts

+1

My preferred material is cartilage. When patients need significant dorsal improvement, then a rib graft is needed. I have used Irradiated rib cartilage grafts as well.

Rib/Ear Cartilage Graft or Silicone Implant

+1

A great question! Although the silicone implants are popular in some places because they are easier for the surgeon and patient, I have not used them in over 35 years because of the significant increased risk of infection, movement, and extrusion either in the post-operative period or many years later. Over the years I've removed many of these implants placed by other surgeons.