Rib Cartilage Graft and Weightlifting

I have been doing research about how instead of using Gore-Tex or Silicone to make a nose bridge, you can use rib cartilage. If the surgeon says we are going to use rib cartilage, how will this affect my weightlifting? How will my side heal? When I can go back to my normal self when I am lifting?

Rib Cartilage Grafts and Weight Lifting

+1

Whenever possible, I prefer septal or ear cartilage. If rib cartilage is necessary, avoid heavy lifting for about 6 weeks.

Donate Part of Your Ear Instead of a Rib and Keep Lifting

+1

Dear Chicago friend,

I am from Chicago and I did not know anyone lifts weights there. The only lifting I have seen there are lots of mugs of beer and some big portions of baby back ribs. And deep dish pizza.

If you do lift, rib cartilage maybe be your last choice. Ask your surgeon about cartilage from inside the nose, or from your ear. Would not hurt your lifting. Healing is very fast and nearly painless. Rib cartilage removal is a bit more involved although not serious, of course.

You may also consider fillers. Lots of good ones today. Longer lasting ones getting good grades.

Check it out.

Keep warm out there.

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Rib Cartilage Graft and Weightlifting

+1

To directly reply to the question you can use rib and after 6 weeks of healing your life should be back to normal. Be careful From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Rib or septal cartilage and weightlifting after rhinoplasty.

+1

Septal or ear cartilage grafting will be less costly, painful, and cheaper to do than rib. Unless you have no cartilage left in the septum or ear. Weightlifting can be resumed in 4 weeks.

Rib cartilage in the nose and postop pain

+1

I would also definitely favor the use of your own cartilage or other biologic material in the nose if necessary .Avoiding synthetic materials is probably a good idea as they  can be fraught with difficulty and long term problems.  A rib cartilage graft can be tender , however, and may effect  strenuous physical activities and weight lifting for sometime. 

Stephen Delia, MD

Rib cartilage harvest

+1

Rib can be harvested from your rib cage or a homograft ( human donor) cartilage can be used.  It is preferable if you use your own, but there is definitely some post-op pain involved with that.  Each doctor suggests different post-op instructions so I would confer with your surgeon.