Should I Get Rhinoplasty? Bulbous and Wide Nose

Hi, Im 25yo male and I would like to get some info about what I could expect from a job to reduce the width and bulbous tip on my nose. Its a bit upturned too so Id like to get it a bit derotated so the thip does not "look" upwards. Could I get a nose that fits better my face with it? Ive had no prior jobs done. thanks in advance

+3

This is a tricky nose and needs an expert in thick skin and wide nasal base rhinoplasty. In order to correct the bulbous tip, the nose will become overprojected and over rotated therefore you need to deproject the nose as well as de-rotate it. The alars will have to be reduced since the de-projection will increase the flarring of alae and therefore widens the apparent nasal base. Postoperatively, will need steriod injection to reduce the scarring.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a Rhinoplasty?

+2

The The anatomic problems you accurately describe can be corrected with a rhinoplasty. Find an experienced surgeon - your surgery will be challenging but your goals are reasonable. Only you can decide if you should have the rhinoplasty.

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may be used to improve the bulbous appearance of your tip.

+2

I read your concerns, and reviewed your photos. Your bulbous tip may be narrowed and refined with Rhinoplasty Surgery. Nasal lenghthening or derotation of your tip is difficult to achieve with rhinoplasty surgery. You may consult several reputable, certified rhinoplasty specialists to see what could be achieved with well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

No one needs to get surgery

+2

Should is not the right question, you need to look at your nose, evaluate what you don't like and then speak to an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon and decide on what can be done. If you agree that what you don't like can be corrected then go for it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Derotation of the short nose and bulbous tip.

+2

Derotation of the short nose and bulbous tip is something that should be done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. When a bulbous tip is narrowed by the usual methods the tip often rotates up and the nose is shorter, unless the surgeon knows how to do this without rotation.

Bulbous and wide nasal tip

+2

I agree that your nose is a failry complicated situation and requires a good consultation or two and good pre-operative planning.  In order to achieve your goal you will likely need to have an open rhinoplasty with significant modification of the tipe cartilages, possible grafting to reinforce the tip and a dorsal graft on the top of your nose to extend the nose to make it slighty longer.  I would advise consulting with several plastic surgeons before making your decision.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Bulbous and Wide Nose

+2

Hi,

The best way to answer your question is to have computer imaging of your nose. This will give you a good idea of what to expect after the surgery. By refining your tip you can reduce the bulbosity and the width.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Should I get a rhinoplasty?

+2

that question is very involved. After consultation, the surgeon whom you choose will tell you what can be improved with your nose, the costs, the convalescence, and the expected result. However whether or not you should undergo surgery really depends upon how you feel and perceive yourself. The only person who can answer this question is the patient after reviewing all of the input by an appropriate surgeon.

John E. Sherman, MD

Complicated Rhinoplasty

+2

Your observations about the characteristics of your nasal tip are correct:  a bulbous, yet slightly over-rotated and under-projected tip.  Correction of an over-rotated, under-projected tip requires a caudal septal extension graft, or a procedure to lengthen the nose slightly.  In addition, you have what is called a "parentheses deformity" with enlarged, cephalic positioning of your upper lateral cartilages.  This is a complicated procedure, and one that should only be attempted by an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improvement of the contour of the nasal tip is a very common goal for rhinoplasty

+1

It sounds like you are a perfect candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. 

Improvement of the contour of the nasal tip is a very common goal for this type of surgery and readily accomplished by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  De-rotating the nose so that you have less of an “upturned look” can also be accomplished at the same time by changes made to the cartilage of the nasal tip and/or the inferior portion of the nasal septum.  This may be done through a closed or open approach, depending on the planned step needed to improve the contour of your nasal tip.  Even with an open approach, any incisions made would be well hidden so that you would end up with a very natural looking improvement in the shape of your nose. 

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon