Rhinplasty Donor Rib Implant, How Easy to Remove?

I thought I had gor Tex implant but it turned out to be donor rib instead for my bridge on Asian rhinoplasty. This is 12 days after and I still hate it. The doctor keep telling me it's still swollen and it may take 2 to 3 months to see results! Can this be true? I really want it out... What to do?

Removal of Rib Graft from Nose

+1

As I said when answering your previous question, it is best to wait 3-6 months so you can see the final result - it is impossible 12 days post-op. There is no advantage to having another operation at this time.

Rib graft

+1

Regardless of what was used you need to be patient right now. Many patients go through post procedure remorse at this time when they see the dramatic change. Remember why you had the procedure and give yourself time to get used to your new nose before doing any further surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I agree with my colleagues that you should wait at least 3 months to see some results and you would not be able to remove the rib graft sooner than 6 months after this Rhinoplasty.  The 6 month interval is the standard time for blood supply to be re-established in the nasal skin.  Until then, just leave your nose alone.

Be patient for rhinoplasty results

+1

2 weeks is way too early too judge how your nose will eventually end up looking. I am assuming you do not have a scar on your chest which means that the rib is probably irradiated cadaveric rib. Any "foreign material" in the nose can cause a little extra swelling so give it at least 3 months before making the decision to have it removed. Understand however that your nose may actually look worse or odd by having the implant removed as the skin now has to shrink back down once again to the underlying structures underneath the removed implant. I hope this helps. Trust your surgeon and good luck!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I assume it is a cadaver bone rib graft? Because you would have stated if it was your autologous rib. It is best to wait at least 3 months to allow some healing. But if you are going "mental" than I would remove it at the same fee as I charged to place it. With you signing a release of all medical liability. 

Removing Rib Graft From Nose

+1

Although rib grafts and other nasa implants are easy to remove, I strongly encourage you to be patient and allow all the swelling to subside before having any addtional surgery. It takes months for most of the swelling to subside and up to a year before it is all gone.  If you did your homework researching your surgeon before surgery, now is the time to trust that person to properly manage and advise you during your recovery.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Removal of rib graft after rhinoplasty.

+1
Leave it alone!!!!!! Wait at least 3 months before any surgery to let the swelling subside. It can always be removed later.

I hate my big nose, can it be fixed?

+1

Although it is impossible to comment specifically about your graft without a photo, this was harvested and custom sculptured during your surgery by your surgeon specifically to meet your aesthetic needs.  Rib cartilage is much more difficult to use than an implant, but probably better for you in the long run.  Your surgeon worked harder to do the right thing for you.  

If the graft is too small, you would look good now, but once swelling resolves, you would be disappointed at having gone through the surgery without much of a difference.  You would not be satisfied.  If the graft is exactly the right size, it will appear too large after surgery because of the swelling, and because you are not used to it.  As swelling resolves and you get used to it, gradually, you may see that it is perfect.

Even if the graft is too large, it is not too difficult to reduce later, but you will not know for sure if this is the case for months, until swelling resolves.

Steve Laverson, MD

Rib Graft and Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

Twelve days after any rhinoplasty is far too soon to make any final judgments on your results. Your doctor is correct and you should wait until more time has passed to make an educated decision. Normally we would recommend waiting a full year to see the "final" outcome. 

Stay in close contact with your surgeon, but be patient and don't make any decisions that you may regret. 

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rib graft takes time

+1

Don't be upset at 12 days.  Ypou are much too soon to have this removed.  Swelling in the nose after nasal surgery can take at least 6-12 months to resolve completely.  Give it at least 3 months and see your plastic surgeon as often as you need to for reassurance.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon