Do I Need Rhinoplasty, Chin Augmentation, or Both? (photo)

For starters, I appreciate any feedback! I'm posting this to get a general idea of my options before I pay for a costly consult (which I'm planning to do this winter). So, the questions: First, given my side profile and facial features, do you see an imbalance? Obviously I do, but if things aren't as terrible as I perceive, it'd be great to know. Second, would I be able to get by with just rhinoplasty, chin augmentation, or would a combination of the two best achieve facial symmetry?

Chin Aug, Rhinoplasty, or Both?

+4

Obviously, this is a problem that bothers you, and that is the most important thing.

My opinion is that your nose could could benefit from refinement.  It isn't horrible by any stretch, but it could be improved if it really bothers you.

You are correct in looking at the chin area with the nose- they balance and compliment each other, and must be assessed together.  I am not sure if you need a chin implant or not based on photos.  Your lower jaw looks a bit short, and so this needs to be examined and decisions made.  If the jaw is OK, and it is just the chin that is underdeveloped, I believe that this will give the biggest bang for the buck, especially if funds are tight.

sek

Chin implants? Rhinoplasty? Or chin implants with rhinoplasty?

+1

In your case, I believe that chin implant surgery alone will go a very long way to improving the contour and proportions of your face. That said, it does make very good sense to look at both the nose and the chin when considering appropriate facial contour and symmetry.

It does not appear from your photos as if rhinoplasty is needed for proportional balance of your features if you go forward with surgery to augment your chin, working with your surgeon to choose from among a variety of appropriately sized and shaped chin implants.

However, rhinoplasty is a very personal choice, and if you are bothered by the small dorsal hump on the bridge of your nose, rhinoplasty can certainly improve that quite easily. If you have any nasal re-contouring goals beyond that, I recommend you share them with the surgeons you choose to consult with and also ask for the surgeons' insights and recommendations.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and/or chin implant for more balanced facial features

+1

Placing a small chin implant in the chin area will give the illusion of a less projecting nose.  Performing both a chin implant and rhinoplasty is a great combination surgery that is done quite often in our center.  Reducing the overall projection of the nose, narrowing the bridge with osteotomies and refinement of the tip can all be performed with chin implant surgery.  The cost for a rhinoplasty and chin implant is around $9,700 which includes the operating room, anesthesia, and surgeon’s fee for performing the procedures.

Chin size balance with Rhinoplasty

+1

Patients commonly increase the size of the chin with silicone implant, while reducting the size of the nose with rhinoplasty. Not all patients benefit from combined procedures to improve facial balance. Based on the photographs alone, some plastic surgeons will suggest rhinoplasty alone and avoid chin implant. The decision for surgery is mutually determined by both patient and surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduction rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

+1

Taking the nasal hump down and refining the tip of the nose would be beneficial.  Regarding the chin, an implant would add balance and structure to the lower 1/3 of your face.  When performed together in the appropriate patient, the results of rhinoplasty and chin augmentation surgery ("profileplasty") are synergistic or, in other words, greater than the sum of the parts.  I find computer imaging during the consultaiton particularly helpful in these cases.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin?

+1

If your nose is bothering you, you can have it treated. I would caution you to just have a chin implant.  You may need more than just the implant such as a sliding genioplasty with stacking to increase the height of the lower 1/3 of your face.  Cephalometric imaging would be important as well. You should go to a qualified cranniofacial expert for that.  Good luck

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for facial balance.

+1

A rhinoplasty to remove the bump, etc.  along with a chin implant will give you a more balanced face.  Choose an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.