Rhinoplasty - I'm 15 years old, I broke my nose when I was 7. I have a dorsal hump and deviated septum? (photo)

Hello, I'm 15 and my nose from the side really annoys me. I broke my nose when I was 7 and ever since then, I have had a dorsal hump and deviated septum. Any tips? If I do need rhinoplasty, (CLOSED!) at what age should I get it? I'm only 15 so am I still developing?

Rhinoplasty

+2

At 15 you are a bit young to have a rhinoplasty.  Like you said, you are still growing. When you stop growing then you can probably have it done. Girls by 16 or so, guys by 17 or 18 usually.

Rhinoplasty at age 15

+1

Hi nyjets97,  the age that a person should have a rhinoplasty depends on many factors but mainly on your physical maturity.  In general boys may need to wait to have a rhinoplasty until age 17 or 18 depending on the maturation of their face.  At your consultation your concerns would be discussed and how best to improve both the appearance and breathing problems would be determined.  It is possible that the open technique would be more appropriate depending on the findings on exam of your nose.  There are very few negatives with the open approach and it allows more control and thorough correction of your nose. Your surgeon would advise you of what approach is best.  Good luck. 

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Male rhinoplasty

+1

I usually do men over 17 or so. It all depends on your growth. Although the nose often stops before the rest of your body. When you are ready, come in to see a plastic surgeon with your parents and discuss the options.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Boys are ready for rhinoplasty after their growth spurt is over, usually somewhere between 16 and 18

+1

Rhinoplasty in a teenager is both a physical and psychological issue. As you grow, sometimes people "grow" into their noses. But by the time you are finished with your growth spurt, your nose won't change much. For boys, this is between 16 and 18 and girls, as young as 14 to 16. For boys, though, there are also issues like school sports. Just as important is the emotional aspect. Sometimes large noses can impair teens in social situations and make them self conscious. The personality changes often outstrip physical changes after rhinoplasty.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal Fractures Treated As Needed

+1

It is true that elective nasal surgery should not be performed until the facial skeleton is fully formed which is usually around eighteen for boys and sixteen for girls.  The only exception to this is correcting a severe nasal deformity due to trauma that not only distorts the appearance of the nose but also affects nasal breathing.  In this case, the internal and external anatomy of the nose is corrected without aesthetic refinement.  If your breathing is OK your best bet is to wait a little bit longer to have your nasal surgery.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Rhinoplasty?

+1

18 may be reasonable in a male.  Skeletal growth should be complete, and the age at which this occurs is variable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA