Should I Get Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hey so a few years ago I got head butted by someone with a helmet which left a bump, and later on got punched in the nose which left my nose slightly crooked. A couple friends that knew I got punched commented how it is now crooked, but other people don't seem to notice. I'm worried that I might ruin my decent nose now in hopes of getting it back to how it was. If the rhino would cause any scarring after or have risks of any other problems I wouldn't go through with it. I really want this done though...

Should I get rhinoplasty?

+2

Hello, and sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced to your nose. In general, fixing a crooked nose is a difficult procedure, and it is not always possible to get the nose 100% straight. However, great improvements can be made when your procedure is performed by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. With open rhinoplasty, a small incision is made under the columella, and the goal is to have the resulting scar appear minimally visible. Any other incisions are made inside the nose. Depending on your needs, an open procedure may not be necessary. A hump can be removed and a crooked nose can be fixed with a closed rhinoplasty. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to examine your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Crooked nose?

+2

I can see that the bridge of your nose tends to tilt to one side. This could have occurred from your injuries. Surgery just to straighten in and reduce the bump could be done from the inside without leaving any outside scars. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rhinoplasty for nasal fracture

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure would involve shaving down the bump, and osteotomies to straighten the nasal bones. A spreader graft composed of the patient's own cartilage may be required to be placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage. Also important to make sure there is not a deviated septum internally which can be causing nasal obstruction.For examples of nasal fracture repair, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Should I Get Rhinoplasty?

+1

You will have to decide if rhinoplasty is something that you want.  Improving a crooked nose can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty, which has no visible scarring.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA