Should I Get a Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I'm considering getting rhinoplasty as my nose's bridge is too wide and it has a droopy, bulbous tip, but it also has really thick skin which I fear might alter the results. Another thing I'm worried about is my psychological profile. I'm 16 and I don't like the appearance of my face at all. I feel it's very unattractive in general and a nose job (while it certainly would help) wouldn't entirely change that opinion. Could this make me an undesirable candidate for rhinoplasty?

Teen Rhinoplasty is More Than Just a Nose Job, Make Sure Psychological State is Stable Before Surgery

+3

Hi MM,

I agree with Dr. Mayer, a psychologist should be seen before a nose doctor.  

A rhinoplasty will change your nose to harmonize better with the rest of your face.  Presently your nose draws attention because of it's width and bulbous tip.  After rhinoplasty the focus of your face should be your eyes.  

You are wise beyond your years.  A rhinoplasty will only change your nose, not the rest of your face, nor your self-esteem, or life.  Your decision on whether to go ahead with rhinoplasty should be based on wishing to change the shape and size of your nose, but the other psychological factors must be considered.  There is no time limit on when you should have a rhinoplasty.  You should be 100% sure that you want to change your nose, but realize that you will need to work on your psychological profile before going to the operating room.  Most importantly, take your time and choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Rhinoplasty for wide bridge and bulbous drooping tip

+3

It's probably best way to age 18 for undergoing a rhinoplasty. The rhinoplasty procedure will involve narrowing the bridge line with osteotomies, shaving down the hump, and sewing the tip cartilages together to give a more refined and narrowed tip. Virtual rhinoplasty software is available on the link below along with our rhinoplasty photo gallery.

Should I Get a Rhinoplasty?

+3

Dear Moonman,

thank you for your question and photos.  On examination of the photos, I see a face with boyish good looks.  I don't think your face is unattractive at all.  I do agree that the nose is a little large and bulbous with a bit of a hook at the end, and all these things can be improved.  However, you should not rely on this for self image.  Cosmetic surgery is not intended to be life-changing.  Discuss these issues with people that you trust.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Physical vs psychological issues of rhinoplasty

+3

Thank you for the question and the photos.  You have described an important issue of all cosmetic surgery procedures especially for rhinoplasty.  There is a fine balance of seeing ourselves how we are and wanting improvement vs wanting a change because of a lack of positive self image.  This can be a hard intertwined issues to untangle.  A combination of discussion with people that you trust as well plastic surgery consultation may help provide some of the information that you seem.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Should I Get a Rhinoplasty?

+2

Please share this answer with your parents since you are under 18 years of age.  You are a nice looking kid however the chin is weak and your nose is a bit thick.  These do detract from your overall appearance...these are aesthetic facts.  Rhinoplasty can refine and reduce the size of the nose while a Chin Implant will balance the lower face by augmenting the chin forward.  

Talk this over with your parents and if you are ready and they agree, I suggest having a couple of consultations (bring your parents) with an experienced plastic & cosmetic surgeon to discuss your options.  Just remember that surgery is serious and should not be undertaken lightly....you may have a nicer nose and chin but you will still be the same person inside.  Hope this helps.

Large nose

+2

You have an aesthetically pleasing male face. The nose is big and a rhinoplasty will certainly make the face look more harmonious and in balance. It will give more definition to your tip and reduce the width as well. You are a good looking young man and should feel very confident. Good luck to you. Regards. Dr. J Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for 16 year olds

+2

Dear MoonMan97,

1. You are a candidate for rhinoplasty surgery to achieve the goals you would want for your nose
  2. It is very common for clients to feel self-conscious about their nose because they feel it draws attention away from other parts of the face
  3. Studies have shown that patients who undergo rhinoplasty surgery are happier, have more self-confidence, and are glad they had the procedure
  4. With that being said, a rhinoplasty is NOT the cure for feeling self-conscious
  5. It sounds like you are aware of that and would be a candidate after your growth spurt (you are right around the minimum age for a male rhinoplasty)
  6. When you are ready, please visit a rhinoplasty specialist who can answer all of your questions

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty in the young male-16?

+2

I would recommend that you see a psychologist to discuss your feelings about your face and do NOT have surgery until the therapist and you feel it will accomplish your goals.

Rhinoplasty in teens

+1

Dear Moonman,

I will keep it short.  If you consider that we believe, in general, the nose is not fully developed in males until at least 18...you still have a few years to go.  Good luck with this issue.  Make sure that you are ready for this surgery from a psychological stand point.

Good luck

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon