Rhinoplasty for a Fat Nose? (photo)

I hate the look of my "fat" nose! I've been told nose jobs are just to rid of big bumps (which I do not have) but is there any way to make my nose look more "feminine"? What procedure would you recommend?

Rhinoplasty for a Fat Nose

+1

You do not have a bad nose and you do not have a fat nose.  If you did want something done it may be to narrow or refine the nose a bit.  If I saw you in person, I may not recommend anything unless you had a specific goal in mind.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Refining the 'fat' nose

+1

ChelsR-thank you for the question.  You bring up a question that is commonly asked by my patients.  The first part of the answer to your question is itself a question--is your nose really fat?  Are you judging it by unflattering photographs?  Only an in-person exam can determine the answer to this.  I find that in our digital-image society, we see images of ourselves taken from all sorts of angles, in all sorts of lighting, and by all kinds of cameras.  As an a photography enthusiast, I can tell you each of these will make a difference in your appearance. 

Having said that, it is possible to refine a truly 'fat' nose, using a variety of techniques.  It is key to find an experience rhinoplasty surgeon to help you determine what if anything is necessary or possible.

In the meantime, don't be so hard on yourself.  It's easy to get caught up in the photos and lose sight of the real person.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Fat Nose

+1

Good rhinoplasty surgery will accomplish a lot more than just removing a 'big bump". In the hands of an experienced specialist the nose can be narrowed, refined, augmented when necessary, and brought into proportion with the surrounding facial characteristics to achieve a natural result.

Broad nose question

+1

Hello ChelsR,

Great question.  One of the most common rhinoplasty requests is for reduction of the nasal profile.  However, many factors contribute to the overall function and aesthetics of the nose.  Narrowing a broad nose if done appropriately can improve the aesthetics of the nose.  However, any reductions in the size of the nose can potentially compromise breathing.  Because of the complexity of nasal surgery, it's important that your future surgeon has extensive training and experience with nasal surgery.  Good luck!  

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a Fat Nose?

+1

Thanks for the question. One of the best images that you posted is one with the sunglasses unfortunately if this was without them it would reveal more truth about your nose.  You have a nice tip and nice bony pyramid as per my view based on these photos. What is basically wrong with the look of your nose that its middle third looks fat and wide. This is the place of upper lateral cartilages and this means either you have thick fibro-fatty tissue in that area or your cartilages are deformed. After clinical examination most PS will be willing to help you with this.
I hope it’s of some help to you. Wish you all the best

Web reference: http://www.dubai-aesthetica.com/face/female-nose-job.html

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Fat nose - rhinoplasty

+1

Dear ChelsR:

You have an interesting nose. I see what you are saying. You have a relatively wide dorsum and wide base. But what in interesting is given that width of those structures your tip is a narrow (narrow relative to the width of the rest of your nose). Also your supra alar creases are a little pronounced. I'll bet you have a more than normal medial orientation of your lower lateral cartilages.

Either way, depending on you your exact desires or anatomy you may benefit from a rhinoplasty. If you were my patient my goals would be to narrow the dorsum some (would likely require osteotomies) and the base (small alar base excisions). While you have not provided a side view, I'd be willing to bet you need a little tip rotation.

I would council you to expect changes but not to expect nuanced detailed shapes and contours. Your skin is too thick for that.

Web reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dSbKlQhKTw&list=PLaLjKGWeOpGQLQEYDi06T22SIOd0T6BGZ&index=4

Rhinoplasty for fat nose?

+1

By fat do you mean the tip area?  If so, sometimes a tip plasty can be a good procedure to refine the tip .  Best to be seen in person.

Refining the nasal appearance.

+1

Thank you for the photos.  Your nose appears balanced and with good overall shape.  It is true that most rhinoplasties are done to correct the firm structural parts of the nose, such as the bone or cartilage, which give the nose its shape.  If the soft tissues, which make up the covering of the nose, are thick it is difficult and potentially dangerous to try and thin them.  A doctor would need to examine you and evaluate whether reshaping the firm structures of your nose could refine the outer appearance.  Good luck.

Refining the nose

+1

Dear ChelsR-
Thanks for your question and photos. From the photos you sent I think you are being too hard on yourself!  

Nasal surgery is done for many different reasons. Removing a 'bump' is a common request in rhinoplasty but definitely not the only change that can be accomplished. Sometimes the goal is to raise the tip to a more feminine angle or to refine the shape of the lower third of the nose. The technique chosen often depends on the goals of the patient. Ultimately the most important goal should be a natural, balanced result. Hope this helps. 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon