I cannot breath out of one nostril and I dislike the appearance of my nose. Do I need Rhinoplasty or Septoplasty? (photo)

Hi, I highly dislike the appearance of my nose because it does not fit my face. I cannot breathe out of one nostril about 98% of the time. I don't think I broke my nose but I have a hump on it. Also, I have noticed my face is not symmetrical, I have braces for an overbite and over jet. My question is that do I need rhinoplasty or septoplasty as well? And will my facial symmetry be fixed after braces? Could my nose be ONE of the causes of my facial asymmetry? What else do you recommend? Thank you!

Septoplasty VS Rhinoplasty

+2

In general terms a procedure is referred to as a septoplasty if it is performed to straighten the inside of the nose while a Rhinoplasty is performed to modify the outside appearance of the nose.  The two are often interrelated. The nasal septum is the midline partition that separates the nose into two distinct airway passages.   A septal deviation can occur from a trauma that breaks the nasal bones or even from birth.  When the septum is deviated it blocks airflow and restricts breathing on the respective side.  Aside from the septum there are also bony turbinates lined with mucosa inside each passageway of the nose.  If these anatomically protrude into the nasal passageway to a significant degree or the mucosa is enlarged as can occur with allergies these can also restrict nasal breathing. 
If you want to address the nasal bump or external appearance of the nose then a Rhinoplasty can be perfomed.  A rhinoplasty can straighten a crooked nose, narrow a wide nose and remove a bump on the nose all which are very common cosmetic rhinoplasty changes.

Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and breathing

+2

First if  you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, a rhinoplasty wouild probably help. As for breathing issues they may or may not be related to an anatomic issue( i.e septal deviation, turbinate hypertrophy etc..) It may be allergic, inflammatory , etc..  Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Breathing Problems and Cosmetic Concerns about the Nose

+2

If you have unilateral nasal obstructive symptoms, then you may be a candidate for septoplasty.  However, the septum is not the only cause of breathing problems, and you would need an exam to determine the most likely causes.  As far as your cosmetic concerns, the hump can be removed.  If you think your nose is wide that can be reduced as well. 

Cosmetic and Functional Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal obstruction can result from a variety of anatomic and inflammatory causes.  Nasal septal deviation, inferior turbinate hypertrophy, and internal valve collapse are just a few anatomic causes of nasal obstruction.  Seasonal allergy can result in inflammation of the nasal lining causing congestion.  Careful intranasal examination will help to determine the cause of your nasal obstruction.  If a deviated septum or enlarged turbinate is causing the problem, these issues can easily be addressed at the time of cosmetic rhinoplasty.  From a cosmetic standpoint dorsal hump reduction, correction of tip ptosis, and tip refinement will help to create a nose which is in balance with your other facial features.  I might also suggest a small chin implant to better balance your profile.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to Correct Facial Asymmetry

+1

A septorhinoplasty will improve nasal asymmetry, breathing,  and the deviated nose but it will not change the asymmetry of the surrounding facial features. Your braces may help. A full set of pictures of your face, as described on my website, will help us make recommendations for you.

Septorhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty is performed to improve the cosmetic appearance of the nose, such as decreasing the projection of the nose, removing a hump, and refining the tip.  Breathing difficulty out of the nose come from a variety of factors including a deviated septum, turbinate hypertrophy, or valve collapse.  This component is billed to the patient's medical insurance for medical neccessity.  Both procedures can be performed at the same time