Rhinoplasty/Chin Implant. Few Questions About Pre-Procedure? (photo)

I am considering rhinoplasty and possibly a chin implant or liposuction of the chin/neck area. I have a few questions. 1. Can I buy insurance in case the surgery has to be canceled on the day due to illness? 2. Will the surgery still be performed if I have drank 6 oz of O.J? I am type 1 diabetic and while I can fast there is a chance my blood sugar will drop 4 hours or 40 mins before the surgery and I will need to treat it. 3. Can I wear my glasses during the recovery period?

Rhinoplasty And Chin Implant For A Diabetic Patient

+1

Every surgeon has different policies when the patient decides to cancel the procedure after it goes on schedule and the OR is booked; so it is best to have that question whenever you consult with the surgeon of your choice.

As for your diabetic condition, you will have to monitor your sugar blood level preoperatively to make sure that you are relatively stable down that line; your primary care physician, anesthesiologist and your surgeon will have to collaborate to tailor your surgery to fit you well.

Finally, wearing the glasses depends on the nature of the rhinoplasty you will undergo but usually patients can wear their eyeglasses with the bridge taped on the forehead so they don't rest on the nasal dorsum.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Rhinoplasty & chin implant: Answers to specific questions depend on the specific situation

+1

Every practice has different policies regarding deposits, cancellations before surgery, etc. Ask your surgeon or his/her staff regarding their policy.  Perioperative management of  blood sugar levels in diabetics is routine and depends on what diabetic medicines (insulin, oral antihyperglycemics, etc) they are taking.  Your pre- and post-op care as it relates to diabetes would be coordinated with your primary care doctor, your anesthesiologist, and your surgeon.  Regarding wearing glasses, depending on what parts of your nose are having surgery, you might be restricted from wearing glasses for more than an hour or two for several weeks after surgery.  Wearing contacts or taping your glasses up would be preferred during this time.  

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's always best to consult your surgeon with specific questions before surgery

+1

Generally surgery on a diabetic is monitored and controlled by the anesthesiologist. So, talk with them before surgery about how to keep your sugar regulated. As for surgery cancellation and re-scheduling. Each surgeon has different policies. Most will charge a small rescheduling fee if it's for convenience. If you reallyg get sick then I doubt most will charge you a fee to reschedule if you give at least a day or two notice.

Post surgery you can wear glasses on the nasal cast. once the cast comes off most surgeons prefer 5 more weeks with little to no glasses wearing. You can go back to your contact lenses if you wear them.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Multiple Questions before Rhinoplasty/Chin Implant

+1

All are excellent questions but you should get the answers from your surgeon. Opinions and routines vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Answers

+1

Answers: Insurance to cancel (ask your surgeon), sugar cube, no glasses directly after rhinoplasty. Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinplasty/Chin Augmentation

+1

Hello, in reviewing your photo it is clear that you would benefit from a combination of rhinoplasty, chin augmentation and submental liposuction. To answer your questions, if you are ill the day of surgery your procedure will be rescheduled and you should not be charged. You can not drink anything the morning of surgery so be sure that you will be the first case in the morning. You are monitored during surgery so don't worry about your sugar dropping. I prefer that you don't wear glasses after surgery if you need to then they have to be carefully taped. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

What if I'm sick the day of surgery

+1

No surgeon will operate on a sick patient and a new day will be set for the surgery with no penalty.Your sugar canbe treated intravenously an glucose tests can be done during surgery. Glasses can be worn taped up so they dont rest on the nose.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD