Rhinoplasty. I Have a Bulbous Nose. What Do You Recommend? (photo)

Hi there, I am considering getting Rhinoplasty. I have had a consultation for this before and I have been told the skin is too thick, I am not satisfied with this. I am dissatisfied with my bulbous nose and I feel it's too big from my profile view. I describe it as having a ball at the end of my nose. I have attached a couple of pictures, I would be most grateful for your advice, Thank You!

Improving Bulbous Nasal Tip

+1

Dear Natabelle,

With a thick nasal skin and a bulbous tip, a rhinoplasty is challenging but also extremely rewarding.

That being said, I believe that your nasal tip should be approach conservatively to keep on the natural look of your nose and to make it fit well with your facial features.

Such a surgery will add to your facial beauty but commendable results require exceptional skills. So I recommend that you consult with board certified surgeon of extensive experience who will help you achieve your goal.

Thank you for your inquiry and I hope this helps.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Bulbous tip Rhionplasty

+1

I agree.  A Rhinoplasty done on a patient with thick skin is slightly more difficult to perform for two main reasons: 1.  Because of the thickness of the skin it is more difficult to show the refinements of the new nasal anatomy after the procedure.  2. The patient's often become nervous because the swelling after the surgery may not subside for months.  My approach is to make the result as refined as possible by utilizing the rearrangement of the cartilage of the tip and the placement of cartilage grafts to enhance refined anatomical points. Also, A lot of hand holding is imperative for the first two months after the procedure. I hope this has helped.  Joseph W. Rucker M.D F.A.C.S.  

Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations to improve bulbous tip

+1

It's hard to assess your skin thickness and full anatomy from your photos, but it does appear that rhinoplasty surgery could be used to modify your nasal tip cartilages to improve the overall appearance of your tip. Check out my link below to read more about bulbous tip repair.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/blog/post/how-to-fix-a-bulbous-tip

Rhinoplasty for thick skin nose

+1

It is true that it is more difficult to get a very defined tip in the individuals with thick nasal skin; however, it is not impossible to achieve a good amount of improvement that usually makes patients satisfied with surgery.  Your photos, unfortunately, are not the best to give you a more detailed advise.  See if you can send better pictures.

You need to see a rhinoplasty specialist who is comfortable with thick skin

+1

Dear Natabelle,

Rhinoplasty in patients who have thicker skin generally requires techniques that are different than patients with thin skin; however, this does not mean that you cannot achieve a more refined nasal tip. Generally speaking, thick skin patients do not do as well with reductive procedures like removing portions of the tip cartilage.

Before you decide to have surgery make sure the surgeon you choose has a lot of experience with patients like yourself who have thick skin. We have plenty of experience with lots of patients from various ethnicities including African Americans, Latinos, Middle Eastern and Asians who all tend to have thicker skin and are some of our happiest patients.

Peyman Solieman, MD

Correction of a bulbous tip is achievable if the skin is not thick with rhinoplasty.

+1

The pictures provided aren't very good but it looks as though the skin of the nose is reasonably thin.  That being the case, the time can be reshaped pretty easily.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,25-atlanta-rhinoplasty.htm

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Bulbous Tip

+1

The thickness of your skin and the fullness of your tip is not clear in the pictures you submitted. However rhinoplasty will improve the appearance of a nose with a bulbous tip. Better definition can be achieved by either changing tip contour or adding cartilage to the tip.

Rhinoplasty

+1
The photographs you sent are to far away and to blurry to really get a good view of your nose. With that said the reason for not doing a rhinoplasty is not due to the skin being to thick. Each patient has individual needs depending on their ethnicity, facial anatomy and diagnosis. I perform rhinoplasty surgery on many patients with thick skin and while they may take a bit longer to heal in the tip area this has never been a reason not to perform a procedure. Rhinoplasty surgery is based on the patients desire and the surgeons ability to know he/she can accomplish this desired result. I use a digital imaging computer to show my consulting Rhinoplasty patients their proposed surgical result and this is very helpful in making sure the patient and surgeon are on the same page regarding their aesthetic expectations! Best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.