Considering Rhinoplasty - Can Nose Bridge Be Narrowed?

I don't like my nose bridge because it's wide. can I have it reduced and if so is there a lot of pain because I know the bones have to be broken.

Narrowing the Nose

Hi there. Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery) to address a wide nose is a common request. Most likely, an “open rhinoplasty” (where the soft tissues are gently elevated to allow direct access to the tip cartilages) will be required. These tip cartilages are then sculpted and sutured to refine the nasal tip.

You are correct that osteotomies are required to reposition a wide nose closer to the midline.

If you like, please follow the link below. The article on Nasal Analysis contains many diagrams that you may find helpful. This may help guide your conversation with your surgeon.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can narrow nose bridge

The goal for the upper third of the nose during a rhinoplasty procedure is to usually narrow the nasal bones once the hump has been removed. Narrowing the nasal bridge does require osteotomies (breaking the nasal bones). If the osteotomies have been performed correctly there is usually minimal pain. Most patients only take a few pain pills the first week after surgery. A cast will need to be placed across the bridge after the osteotomies are performed. Usually both medial and lateral osteotomies must be performed to narrow a wide bridge.

Narrowing bridge of the nose

The bridge of the nose can certainly be narrowed and the fracture of the bones required to complete this is usually only moderately uncomfortable for most patients. In a few patients, this area can be narrowed by "filing" of the bone, but this has to be based on each person's unique facial structure and make up. A board certified plastic surgeon can help you determine what would work best for your face.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

It is common to have your nose narrowed with rhinoplasty surgery.

Narrowing your nose with rhinoplasty surgery is common. Osteotomies may need to be performed, and this does not add significant pain to your recovery. Rhinoplasty surgery has very little discomfort during the post-operative period even if your nasal bones need to be in-fractured.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing Nasal Bridge

The nasal bridge is frequently narrowed with rhinoplasty. The nasal bones will be broken, but pain will be minimal. My patients typically take a mild narcotic the night of surgery and tylenol the next day.

Nasal bridge

A wide nasal bridge can be narrowed.  An exam is vital to assess what would need to be done before this is accomplished.

Wide nose narrowing.

A rhinoplasty by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will narrow the nose and improve your facial balance. It should be almost painless.

Nose bridge be narrowed

Yes that is an integral part of a rhinoplasty. The nasal bone fractures can narrow the bridge of the nose. Seek in person examinations so to better understand these details. From MIAMI DR. B