Will Insurance Cover My Septoplasty? I Have Asthma, Severe Allergies and Breathing Difficulties. (photo)

Hello, I am 19y/o, I have had asthma my whole life & severe allergies. My allergist always makes reference to my severely deviated Septum, Though he didnt want to refer me to get a Septoplasty at a young age. Now that Im 19 he is willing. Sometimes I cant breathe out of my nose at all. &The septum seems to have protruded my right nostril causing my right nasal bone to be asymmetrical to my left nasal bone. will rhinoplasty be able to correct this? & more importantly will insurance cover it?

Septoplasty often billed to medical insurance

+1

With severe allergies it is very important to undergo medical management first, to be certain the nasal obstruction is not due to allergies.  This includes using nasal sprays, antihistamines, decongestants, and even allergy testing if severe enough.  A septoplasty is performed for certain nasal obstructions when medications have failed.  Occasionally septoplasty is done with turbinate surgery, which is performed to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  The septoplasty and turbinate surgical procedures are billed to the patient’s medical insurance, but patients are still required to pay their insurance co-pays and deductibles.

Allergy and nasal function

+1

nasal function is important for breathing, but also for related functions such as sleep.  .  allergy therapy can treat the lining of your nose and allergy symptoms.  this is complemented with surgical correction of the septum to insure proper breathing function.

frequently septoplasty is considered eligible for insurance coverage

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon