Considering a Second Rhinoplasty - How Do I Bring This Up with my Surgeon?

I had my first rhinoplasty done about 4 weeks ago. My main goals were to get rid of the bump on my nose, make the width smaller, and have the tip raised.The tip looks great, but i'm not very satisfied with the width or the bump. It still looks very wide and the bump is still very noticeable. Which is why i'm considering having another one done. I paid $6000 for the first one, how much would they charge for a second one? And how should I bring up this matter to them without being disrespectful?

Revision Rhinoplasty Discussion with My Surgeon

+2

Hi. Four weeks is too early to make judgment about your nose. Please wait for 6-12 months as the swelling will go down and you may be pleased with the result at that time. Bring up the issue with your surgeon. He will give you the options.

Good Luck

No need to be hasty!

+1

Wait before you spend more money.  Rhinoplasties take a long time to settle down.  Your dissatisfaction with the width and hump may be attributed to swelling.  Even if it is not then any respectable rhinoplasty surgeon would not reoperate on you now.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Considering 2nd Rhinoplasty

+1

I have several comments. Don't consider a revision 4 weeks after rhinoplasty - wait another 6-9 months before considering that option; your nose will change in the interim. Share your feelings with your surgeon right now. It is impossible to discuss fees without knowing what would be done;  every surgeon has their own policy regarding charges for revision surgery.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Patience, patience, patience. A wise yogi once taught me that "Patience is it's own reward".

Wait at least 6 to 12 months before deciding on revision rhinoplasty.  The swelling of boney changes after rhinoplasty takes time to resolve.  If it still bothers you then, let your rhinoplasty surgeon know.  Although we strive to make the nose perfect at the original operation, revision rates among the best rhinoplasty surgeons in the world vary from 3 to 10%.  More than anything, we want our patients to be happy with their new nose, so do not worry about bringing up the subject.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The first few months postoperatively is the period of greatest anxiety after Rhinoplasty; swelling is still present and your recovery is not yet complete.  The truth is that your result will take some time to develop.  Although it is perfectly reasonable, and within your rights as a patient to discuss concerns with your Surgeon, it is unlikely that any revision would be considered for 6 months to a year.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Secondary rhinoplasty and discussion with the surgeon.

+1

You are not being disrespectful to bring this up. Each surgeon has his own policy about revisions and these are usually touch ups done under local anesthesia.