Nose Tip Too High After Rhinoplasty

Hi. I had my rhynoplasty done 3 days ago. I still have cast on but I see the tip of the nose is way too high. Im just nervous it will stay like this. Do you think it will change after I take the cast off or after some time? Thanks

Tip too high after rhinoplasty

+4

It is typical when swelling (or the cast!) is present that the tip of the nose looks too high.  These likely drop over time.

Hopefully your surgeon was conservative with raising the tiip of the nose.

It is not a bad idea if you are having anxiety to discuss these concerns with your surgeon.

Why the nasal tip is high at day three

+4

During rhinoplasty, as the surgeon applies the splint, the nose will look just right. The nose is taped to control swelling above the tip, support the tip shape, and a splint is applied to support the nasal bones and again to control swelling. The tip is the 'mobile' part of the nose and swelling will hit a maximum at three days. At this time the tip will appear high and rather turned. Just a quickly the swelling will resolve and the tip will drop down over the next three days so that when the splint and tape is removed at about a week, the nose will look just fine.

peterejohnsonmd

High Nasal Tip

+3

The tape, cast, and swelling will make the tip look too high 3 days after rhinoplasty. Your tip will change dramatically, if you are patient!  I've never seen a final result in 72 hours.

Nasal Tip too high after rhinoplasty

+3

A nose is usually placed under some sort of dressing after the rhinoplasty is complete.  The type of dressing varies by surgeon, but most will gently lift the tip slightly during this process.  This allows for the nose to settle over time into the proper position.  At three days, it would be almost expected to see the nose in a higher position than the long term result.  Be patient.

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Tip High after Rhinoplasty

+3

I agree with the other doctors in that it is too early to be worried about the appearance. In a routine rhinoplasty all of the following tend to raise a tip for the first few weeks, and some even longer.

• Taping of the nose as well as the cast, which tend to pull the nasal tip upwards
  • Swelling of the nostrils due to the surgery itself
  • Swelling at the base of the nose due to septoplasty incision or access incisions
  • Swelling due to grafts used in raising a tip
  • Swelling from cutting of the depressor septi muscle
  • Swelling in the upper lip itself

So, don't despair. I usually tell my patients they will look a little elfish while the tape and cast is on. It usually starts to drop during the first post operative visit, when they are removed and it typically drops a lot in the first 2 weeks.

All the best

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - tip too high

+2

3 days especially with the cast on is too early to see where everything will settle.  Please give it some time.When the cast comes off, you will get a better idea of what your nose looks like, but really it takes about 3-4 mo to see the final result. You should also feel comfortable talking with your rhinoplasty surgeon about any of your concerns.  I'm sure he/she would be very happy to answer all your questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D. 

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

This is normal after rhinoplasty

+2
The tip should look like it's too high up while the splint is still on. It will drop after the splint is removed. Be patient. Rhinoplasties take a long time to settle in to the appearance that will be permanent. You should look fine after the removal of the cast.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Evolution of nose appearance after rhinoplasty

+2

It is very common to scrutinize your nose immediately after surgery.  However, you can drive yourself, and your plastic surgeon insane if this becomes obsessive.  The fact that you still have your splint on indicates there is no way for you to predict the final position of your tip.  Find trust in the process and your surgeon and give the healing at least six months.

All the bet.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Nose Tip Appears Too High After Rhinoplasty

+2

This is very common and most often intentional because the tip does drop a small amount during the healing process. Patience and time are your best allies.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty tip position-early

+2

The tip usually drops after weeks to months.  also, you have a splint on, and you may have internal splints/packing, and swelling.

It is way too early to judge.  Don't panic, wait to see the results.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD