Can rhinoplasty make your chin appear smaller?

Im an 18 year old woman. I was reading that in some rhinoplasty procedures the patient is suggested to have a chin implant inserted to keep the balance of the face.Could This work the other way around? I have a larger chin and my nose is wide and round. If I had rhinoplasty to decrease the width and fullness of my nose would my chin seem less prominent? The length of my face is 8 in a half inches not sure if that helps.

Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty

+1

If one has significant microgenia, a small chin, it is something that should be addressed at the same time as a rhinoplasty to give the patient optimal facial and nasal balance. This should be done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Otolaryngologist with expertise and experience in rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant together

+1

In my practice it is common that a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation are performed together, in one surgery, to create overall facial balance. The best way to decide if you are a candidate for this is to discuss it with your surgeon. 3D imaging can also be helpful when deciding.

Web reference: http://premierplasticsurgeryarts.com/rhinoplasty-south-jersey

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Rhinoplasty and chin implants are often performed together, as the two procedures complement each other. To answer your question, reducing the size of the nose would not make the chin appear smaller. It can actually have the opposite affect, as a smaller nose will draw more attention to an already prominent chin. In general, the chin can change through the following:

1) Sliding genioplasty (reduce)

2) Chin implant (project)

I would recommend consulting with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may morph your photo using computer imaging software. This can give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. Thank you and good luck. 

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and the chin

+1

Most rhinoplasty is a REDUCTION rhinoplasty, that is the nose is made smaller in varying degrees. In that case the chin will appear either the same or LARGER in profile.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a rhinoplasty make your chin appear smaller?

+1

Generally if you have a prominent chin and undergo a rhinoplasty to make the nose look smaller the chin will look appear the same or larger, not smaller.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive ethnic rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty and chin implant

+1

Narrowing  wide nasal tip and bridge will not have any effect on the chin.   When the chin is under-projected and  the nose is over-projected,  the combination of a rhinoplasty and chin implant  works quite well to improve facial balance. For many examples, please see the link below

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/progallery/chinimplant_photos81.html

Chin reduction

+1

I would recommend seeing a surgeon who can perform a chin reduction surgery, or genioplasty. A sliding genioplasty can augment, reduce, advance, and correct assymetries of the chin.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Pictures would help, but if you have a larger chin and you reduce the size of your nose, your large chin will appear larger.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php