How Often Does Rhinoplasty on Younger Patients Call for Later Surgeries As the Nose Grows?

Is there any possibility of deformation of the nose in younger rhinoplasty patients due to growth?

Rhinoplasty In a Young Patient

+1

In general, rhinoplasty can be done in a female as young as 15-17 and males as young as 17-19. If done properly, one does not need a revision rhinoplasty later in life. However, I usually do not perform a rhinoplasty at such a young age unless there is a significant deformity or functional problems.

Revision Surgery for Nasal Growth after Rhinoplasty

+1

We all say rhinoplasty should be delayed until nasal growth is complete, about 16 yo for a girl and 18 yo for a boy.  Having said that, in 35 years I've never seen a patient, done by me or another surgeon, that had problems when the surgery was performed earlier because of nasal trauma, severe functional problems, or psychological issues. However, I'm not suggesting that surgery be done earlier. With time the nose will change due to gravity and the normal aging process, but that occurs later in life.

Nasal Growth after Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is common plastic surgery procedure for teenage boys and girls. The nose is relatively larger than the rest of the face during this time. Large noses may be due to a bump at the bridge, wide nasal tip, or droopy tip. Due to this facial imbalance or asymmetry, many teenagers pressure their parents for cosmetic surgery. Body parts that might appear too large or too small now can become more proportionate over time.

The nose continues to grow as we age, but the largest rate of nasal growth occurs during teen years. Generally, this rate slows greatly at age 16 for most girls, and 17 for most boys. As a result, most plastic surgeons wait until this age before considering rhinoplasty for teenagers.

Yes, there is possibility of nose deformation after rhinoplasty that would require revision surgery. This possibility exists for all patients, but higher for young patients whose noses are still growing rapidly.

One potential non-surgical option which is relatively new and untested in teenagers is non-surgical rhinoplasty. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon determine the best option for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Noses shouldn't be operated on (cosmetically) until growth is complete!

+1

Elective rhinoplasty surgery may be something a teenager asks for (and may be a good candidate for) at a young age, but elective rhinoplasty should not be considered (even with parental support) until the nose has completed its growth. Secondary surgery is so much more difficult than well-performed initial surgery (especially with noses), so it makes no sense to do this prematurely, even if the youngster complains bitterly!

Dr. Wallach's guidelines are right on target: no sooner than 15 or 16 years old for girls in most cases, and 17 or 18 for boys, who mature later and still have growth and nasal changes occurring at 15-18 years of age.

My own daughter complained about her nose starting at about age 12 (after all, her dad is a plastic surgeon, and it is I who gave her her big nose!), but we waited until she was 15 to perform her surgery. Her nose still looks good 16 years later, so waiting was worth it!

To answer your question directly, I suppose a young person may have been considered appropriate for rhinoplasty surgery and felt to have completed his or her growth. Perhaps growth was in fact NOT complete, and prior rhinoplasty surgery could subsequently be altered by additional growth and concomitant nasal changes. Revision rhinoplasty may then be necessary or desirable, but is ALWAYS going to be a harder and more unpredictable ordeal.

Thus the recommendation to wait until growth is really complete! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and growing

+1

It is recommended to dealy rhinoplasty surgery until the young man or woman is of adult size. Usualy for girls no sooner than 15 or 16 and boys no sooner than 17 or 18.

Nobody grows out of a rhinoplasty

+1

The nose doesn't grow with age.  The skin might get thicker (rhinophyma) or age but the nasal skeleton doesn't change.  A rhinplasty therefore lasts a lifetime.