Rhinoplasty at a Young Age- Recommendation For a Natural Appearance?

I will be turning 15 in March and would like to have a rhinoplasty this coming summer, however, I am very hesitant on it because of many factors. In high school, it'll be hard to just show up one day with a completely straight nose and honestly, I want the most natural result. If my parents are able to afford it, (they agreed to learn more through a consultation with a doctor)Is it possible to have my bump reduced to a point that helps with my profile, yet, still has some of the structure left?

Rhinoplasty at Age 15

+2

Hello

Anxiety prior to any procedure is a perfectly natural and very common feeling.  I find that many of my teenage patients are not looking for big changes in appearance, preferring refinements only.  I agree that a good time for a procedure like this is during the summer vacation.  That will allow you plenty of time to heal and avoid any time off of school. 

I would recommend a few points of consideration before scheduling a surgery.  First, make sure to do your homework and choose a qualified surgeon with board certification, experience and has plenty of before and after photographs to illustrate the quality of his work.

Second, focus on features of your nose that you would like improved.  Patients that are happiest after surgery tend be ones with specific complaints that can be improved with rhinoplasty.  Computer-enhancement software can be used to illustrate potential changes, allowing you to choose if the new appearance is something with which you are comfortable.

And finally, the last thing to do, which is also the most important, is to trust your instincts.  If you are comfortable with your surgeon and believe they will support you through the entire recovery process, then you should feel good about your decision.

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at Age 15

+1

Rhinoplasty should be delayed until the nose has stopped growing. This usually occurs after puberty which is approximately 16 to 17 years  in women and 17 to 18 years in men.  I hope this helps.

Jay Burns, MD

Teenage Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon to have a rhinoplasty as a teenager and to have apprehension. It is always best in my opinion to do the most natural result possible and I would suggest you bring your parents to your consultation. It is also helpful to have some idea of what you envision your nose to look like. One easy way to accomplish this is to print a picture of your nose, flip it upside down and draw on the back what you would like your profile to resemble. Good luck

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Please share this answer with your parents.  You and your parents should consult with experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons that understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose after Rhinoplasty.

How to get a natural appearing rhinoplasty result

+1

Your goal in having a natural appearing rhinoplasty result is a common one. From your description it should be possible to take down your bump while respecting and maintaining your existing nasal structure.

You will find that looking at surgeons' before and after photos (on their website) of other patients' results should allow you to get a good sense of their aesthetic. Some surgeons have more naturally appearing results than others, I've found.

It is a good idea to consult with (along with your parents) a few surgeons who's work you like. It's important for you to be as specific as possible in explaining what changes you want made. A great rhinoplasty surgeon is able to build upon this dialogue and propose the changes that best fit with your goals.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty at Age 15

+1

It is best if you and your parents see a plastic surgeon together to determine if it is OK at your age to have this done and to discuss your goals of a natural appearance.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Consider a non-surgical rhinoplasty for significant, but not obvious result

+1

Having a surgical rhinoplasty is a big decision.  Your nose and your face are very important to you and you want to do as much research as you can before moving forward.  Even after making the right choice in a surgeon, there are not guarantees regarding the outcome.  I think a great alternative for many individuals is to make some modifications and refinements to their nose using fillers.  Non-surgical rhinoplasty can be completed in the office and you can see the results right away. 

A hump can be reduced and you can keep a lot of the characteristics you like about your. nose.

It's also nice to try the fillers before making such a large financial and physical commitment with surgery.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at 15

+1

Parental consent is important and a realistic outlook is too.  You should go for consults to a few surgeons if you want to proceed. Good luck.

Young patient question regarding rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

The goal of all rhinoplasty procedures is a natural result.  Removal of bump off the bridge is  a common rhinoplasty goal.  Closed rhinoplasty can often be effective in achieving removal of a hump and a unoperated natural appearing nose.  Best to consult an expert in rhinoplasty surgery,  this improves your chance of obtaining the results you desire.  Preoperative computer imaging is helpful to ensure you share the same goal as your surgeon.  Age 15 is generally considered a reasonable age to consider surgery. 

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at Age 15

+1

You are asking all the right questions. You need parental consent, so have them participate in your consultation when you discuss your goals and expectations. The goal of all surgery, including rhinoplasty, is a natural result.