Had Rhinoplasty 4 Years Ago, Still I Feel Nose is Too Wide, Slightly Droopy and Slightly Asymmetric. What Should I Do? (photo)

I was told by many doctors not to do alar base reduction because it would look unnatural. I also notice asymmetries that make my nose slightly crooked and a droopy long tip in some angles. I know revision rhinoplasty is risky and I am scared after reading so many horror stories. What should I do that would be least risk but most result? Is the risk worth the reward? How difficult is this? I am nervous but I really want to find the right surgeon. Thanks

Fixing wide nostrils

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Revision surgery is an option and in the right hands should be able to improve your nose.

Whether the risk is worth the reward is up to you. A consultation with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon would allow you to get a better idea of your options and help you decide if surgery is worth it.

Revision of wide upper tip with hanging tip

The pictures presented are not adequate for a full evaluation, but it looks to me that the upper tip (lateral cartilaginous framework) is too wide and that the tip projection is too long.  This can be corrected with a revision tip rhinoplasty.  The only concern is what cartilage framework remains from the previous surgery.  A cartilage graft could possibly be needed if the cartilages are too severely missing.  

James H. Fuller, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Revision rhinoplaty is an option. Consult in person with your original surgeon and 2 - 3 additional expert and experienced board certified plastic surgeons to review your options. From these consultations, your surgeon and you will be able to determine if revision surgery is warranted.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Revision rhinoplasty for wide, droopy and slightly asymmetric nose

Asymmetries of the nose are best addressed by identifying the cause, such as lower lateral cartilages being more full on one side versus the other.  The cartilages can be adjusted, sometimes sewn together, and occasional cartilage grafting is added to the weak side.  This can also narrow the tip.  A bridge can be narrowed with osteotomies and any further adjustments to the bridge can be performed at the same time.  Thick, oily, olive complexion skin will require cortisone shots in the tip area during the first three months after surgery to address the persistent fullness.