I had a rhinoplasty about 9 years ago. I am 28 now. Should I try a revision rhinoplasty to fix the tip? Can it make it shorter?

My tip is asymmetric and the right nostril is too open. Also the tip is too short on the left side. The nose looks fine from the upfront, however the left semi profile is short-up and the right one- long with an open nostril looking down. Also, I have some functional problems. The turbinate has grown together with nasal cavity. It makes it hard to breath with the left nostril and also results in a bad odor, especially in winter time and when I am...under stress (per my relatives).

Revision rhinoplasty

+3

Photos and/or an exam would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice, and will help you determine how a revision rhinoplasty may improve your nose. I would recommend a consult with a board certified revision rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and provide you with recommendations. Computer imaging software may be used, where your prospective surgeon can morph a photo of you. This can give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Revision (secondary) rhinoplasty?

+2

The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a secondary rhinoplasty performed by an expert artistic plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience. Whether all of the areas can be improved depends on a thorough nasal examination.

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Questioning a revision

+1

From what you describe, you should at least see someone who does a lot of rhinoplasty for an opinion. It sounds like you have functional and cosmetic issues.  You might want to have both corrected.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty for asymmetry

+1

Revision rhinoplasty would attempt to address asymmetries that are present in the nostrils and tip and make the nose more symmetrical. Any breathing difficulties can also be addressed at the same time, but these are billed to the patient's medical insurance, once in medical necessity has been determined. Cosmetic surgery must be paid for by the patient.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I agree that photos are necessary to make any recommendations. I would go to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. You must feel confident with your surgeon abnd review photos of his or her results . Imaging is very helpful . You must feel comforatble and understand their recommendations .Good Luck

David F. LaPatka, MD
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A revision may be in order but an exam would be essential.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.