Rhinoplasty when I Am Sixteen? Broken My Nose Resulting in a Huge Hump. (photo)

I will be sixteen in November, and I've been really self conscious about my nose for a long time. I broke it when I was really little, so it grew oddly; into a huge hump. I feel as if it makes me completely unattractive, and I honestly think it has some role in my breathing problems. I know rhinoplasty is expensive, but I feel it would be worth it- cosmetically and health-wise. Should I ask my parents?

Rhinoplasty at 16

+1

From the photo your face appears mature enough to have a rhinoplasty for hump removal. Since you have only included profile views with your photos, I cannot advise fully on what could be done.

Teen Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Kay,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Addressing your nasal bump and with it your breathing problem seems a good step. I encourage you to communicate with your parents because consulting with board certified surgeon of extensive experience is what you need and the presence of one of your parents will be required.

Having your parents in the loop of your plan is a great step and I believe that you should be fine for a rhinoplasty at the age of 16.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Is 16 too young to undergo rhinoplasty? Definitely not too young.

+1

This is a great question. 16 is perfectly fine age to undergo rhinoplasty. Your nose is developed enough that this should not cause any issues. As long as you are mature, have realistic expectations about the surgery and the support of your parents you will make a good candidate. Seek a board-certified and experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to consult with. Look at that surgeon's pre- and post-surgery photos and ask if they are able to simulate the results of surgery so you can make sure you and your plastic surgeon have similar goals. I hope this helps.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at 16 ? Yes !

+1

Rhinoplasty is commonly performed on patients at a fairly young age. The nose must be fully grown and in women this is around the age of 15 and in men 17 or so. Just because your nose is ready doesn't mean you are. Discuss it at length with your parents and have them accompany you to a consultation with an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Good luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty when I Am Sixteen? Broken My Nose Resulting in a Huge Hump.

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Yes discuss with your parents. Than make a few appointments with boarded docs in your area. Remember bring one or both parents to these appointments. At these appointments you will be examined and the doctor will discuss the surgery with you and the parents. From there you will/can decide what is best for you. Just so you understand a parent MUST sign a consent for surgery. 

Rhinoplasty at Age 16

+1

Over the past 35 years I've seen many nose like yours where they can be significantly improved by eliminating the hump, reducing and refining the tip, and straightening the septum so breathing is better. I don't know your parents, but I would discuss this with them. As my parents used to tell me, the worst they can do is say no.

Rhinoplasty at 16?

+1

I think you would get a great result. Discuss it with your parents. Maybe you can help with the costs and show your desire for the surgery by contributing what you can through a summer job. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD