I Had Rhinoplasty 3 Weeks Ago. When the Cast Came off After a Week, my Nose Looked Great, Now Looks Different?

I had rhinoplasty for the hump and tip. I loved my nose when the cast came off. Now 3 weeks later... it looks different. I loved it better before. Will it go back to how it was?

Your nose 3 weeks after surgery

This is a very good question. It is very common for swelling to become more diffuse throughout the nose after a splint is removed and you begin to return to normal activity. There is considerable swelling and changes that occur over the first few months, with additional refinements extending u to 6  months. All healing/scarring is considered final at one year. You should not be worried.
Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

10047 Main Street
Bellevue, Washington 98004

It is common to have swelling three weeks Post Rhinoplasty and changes after splint removal

It is very common for the nose to swell after the splint is removed and this swelling will slowly dissipate and you will soon see the result you saw on the day of the splint removal. Continue to sleep elevated, stay away from excessive exercise, heat, and watch the salt in your diet. These will all help with the swelling process. Time is on your side and  each week will bring you closer to your desired results. Continue to keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon so you may be assured of a proper recovery and some peace of mind. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Nose Looks Different After Cast Removal

Dear Lala,

At 3 weeks post-op, it is very early to assess the final results of your rhiniplasty that usually get established at about 12 months after the procedure.

That being said, the swelling fluctuates in intensity after the the cast is off.

I recommend that you have a little more patience and to keep your surgeons in the loop of your recovery process.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

It is still very early for you to make final decisions about the appearance of you nose. Splints will not only hold the bone and cartilage structure in place but it will also compress the skin envelope and thus decrease swelling. When the splints are removed you will have some increased swelling that will subside over the next several months. It can take up to one year for all of the swelling to dissipate but after a few months you should have a better idea of your true result. Hang in there. I am sure it will look wonderful if you liked it initially…..and over time you will get used to the change. It took me few months to really like mine!

Richard J. Brown, MD

11000 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Looks Different

Your nose will continue to change week by week for the first year.  Hopefully you will appreciate the positive changes of your nose after 12 months.  Keep your surgical follow-ups with your doctor.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

9834 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037

Rhinoplasty post op

The nasal splint is intended to reduce swelling...once it is removed, some swelling will occur, but less than if no splint was applied at have had a preview of what your nose will look like right when the splint was removed.  You now have to be patient to see the final result.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

239 East Wakea Avenue
Kahului, HI 96732

Nasal appearance after rhinoplasty

If your nose looked great after the splint was removed, then waht you are seeing jsut a few weeks after surgery is most likely swelling.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Rhinoplasty post op question

Hi there,

Often after the cast comes off, the nose swells up over the next few weeks and looks thicker and somewhat shapeless for a few weeks.

It will shrink progressively over the next few months, and will return to the size it was when the cast came off, and even will look finer than that.Good question, and good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS (Hons), FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

650 Bridge Road
Richmond, VIC 3121