Why Would a Hump Form At the Base of My Nose 5 Weeks Post-Op Rhinoplasty?

I did a rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago with a diverted +crooked nose. Still not quite happy with it, because it looks like it's still diverted from the base of the bridge. In fact, a hump has formed near the base of my nose 3 days ago.. Would like to know why? Is the hump a temporary condition or is it permanent? Note: I'm still taping it as my Dr advised, that is until I continue 8 weeks!

+2

Without photos this is a bit of a difficult question to answer.  Generically, though, I would recommend that in the great percentage of cases time and patience are of the essence.  Give your nose about 12 weeks for the great majority of healing to occur.  If at that time there is still a deformity then definitely proceed with discussing this with your surgeon.  Taping the nose 8 weeks after surgery is excessive and typically does not help past about 2-3 weeks even in revision cases.  A small hump would not be considered permanent until you were a full year out from surgery and the nose will go through extensive changes throughout this entire time frame.

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results at 5 weeks

+1

Hello Hope,

Thank you for the question.  If you could upload before and after photos that would be very helpful.  At 5 weeks, there is certainly some swelling still present and the healing process is not yet complete.  I would discuss there issue with your plastic surgeon and get his/her idea of what amount of time should pass before discussion of a revision begins.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hump at the base of your nose

+1

Without a photo and without knowing what types of grafts were placed in your nose to help straighten it, I really cannot tell what is causing the hump.  At this point, it is also sometimes hard for the operating surgeon to tell what it is.  Many small lumps and bumps come and go after a rhinoplasty as it "settles in"  Be patient and follow your surgeons\'s instructions. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to asses without photos

+1

This is difficult to address without seeing photos.  You may email photos to me if you like, or I would follow up with your sugeon.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and without photos of your nose before and after the Rhinoplasty, I'm afraid the best source of this information is still your current Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Ask him/her about this bump as he/she performed the Rhinoplasty and knows what was doen to your nsoe at that time.