I Had Rhinoplasty Done Almost 8 Weeks Ago and I'm Still Having Trouble Breathing from my Left Nostril?

I had rhinoplasty done almost 8 weeks ago and I'm still having trouble breathing from myleft nostril. Also I started snoring post op. Is this normal at this stage? I can see some crusting inside the nostril could this be causing this and how do I get it removed?

Crusting and Breathing After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is common after rhinoplasty to develop frequent crusting.  And, yes, crusting can cause nasal obstruction.  The nasal airway is very sensitive to the slightest degrees of blockage particularly when it occurs in specific places within the nose.  The safest course of action is to use a saline mist spray like Ocean Nasal Spray.  You can also use a room humidifier in your room.  These efforts help to humidify the nose and prevent the crusting from forming.  For the crusting that is already in place, it is best to see your surgeon to help remove these.  At times, it may be crusting that has formed around dissolvable sutures in the nose which may have not been absorbed to this point and can be removed at 8 weeks.  Crusting, itself however, will not cause snoring.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is normal to expect some breathing issues for 6 months after your septorhinoplasty.  You should see your surgeon to discuss this, however.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Trouble Breathing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Assuming the rhinoplasty included work on your septum and turbinates to improve your nasal airway you can have some trouble breathing for several months after surgery. Consult with your surgeon to discuss your problem; hopefully it has not been caused by the cosmetic changes.

Post rhinoplasty breathing difficulties

+1

Dear Malteser, When doing rhinoplasty surgery it is always important to take into consideration the aesthetics and the function of the nose. Typically I perform septorhinoplasty on most patients which includes the "rhinoplasty" or aesthetic portion and the "septo" portion which is the functional aspect. When doing nasal surgery you need to address the septum and the turbinates when needed so that when the nose is reduced with rhinoplasty you ensure your patient has good breathing functions. At 8 weeks post surgery you may just be experiencing some swelling which is normal and may effect your breathing functions. When fully healed if you still have difficulty breathing you will need a direct examination to determine the cause. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty is normal.

+1

Intermittent obstruction in the nostrils is normal for up to several months post-operatively. If you are having problems with crusting try using a saline nasal spray regularly for moisture. The snoring is due to the fact that, since your airway is partially obstructed, you are trying to breathe through your mouth. All of these problems will continue to improve with time.

Diana L. Elias MD

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon