I've Had my Rhinoplasty a Week Ago,the Splint Was Removed Today and my Nose is REALLY Swollen!!

Luckily my face was swollen a little for 3-4 days and that was it but now my nose is really swollen. When the splint was removed my surgeon told me that it's indeed swollen a lot but that something like that is normal. What i wanna know is, how much time will it take for the swelling to disappear-if not 100% then about 60-70%- and will it be ok if i use makeup to hide it a little in order to go out,because my skin is a little wrinkled right now since a big bone was removed from my nose! Thanks!

Swelling after rhinoplasty will improve a little each week

+1

Thank you for the question.  Swelling after rhinoplasty is expected and it tends to get a little worse after the splint is removed.  The swelling will go away with time and an appreciable amount, but not all, of swelling should go away in the first 2 months.  Make up should be fine but not on the incisions and it should be verified with your plastic surgeon.

Dr. Remus Repta

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling one week after rhinoplasty is totally normal.  "A lot" is a relative term.  As plastic surgeons we are used to seeing the swelling.  Some patients have more than average amounts of swelling and some less. The question I would ask of your plastic surgeon is whether what he or she sees is outside the realm of what is in the range of normal.  You also say your skin is wrinkled.  It seems strange that the swelling didn't take up the wrinkles.  Makeup should be OK to wear by now, but check with your doctor.  You will see improvement over the next several weeks, but subtle changes can occur for up to one year or more after the surgery.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Most nose swelling disapperars within the first 1-2 months

+1

In my experience with rhinoplasty, most of the swelling disappears within the first month or two following the Rhinoplasty as long as the patients refrain from strenous activity. 

1 week post-op

+1

One week post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - for 60-70% of the swelling to go down it can take over a month

Sam Naficy, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

The first month is when the most swelling is noted.  The remainder may take over a year.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1

It is normal to have a lot of swelling 1 wk post surgery. You should see an improvement, in about 2-3 wks. Soon thereafter there should be a gradual decrease on the swelling for the next several months.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon