Rhinoplasty vs Septoplasty to fix crooked nose? (photo)

Over the past eight years I have had four broken noses and had a Septoplasty procedure done on three separate occasions. Needless to say the shape of my nose changed drastically. I was born with a very straight nose, but now it is very crooked. Before each of my three septoplasties my ENT ensured me that my nose would be straight again, but obviously he was incorrect. This was done three times after subsequent breaks and my nose still is not straight. Is rhinoplasty necessary in this situation?

Rhino vs Septo

+1

This sounds like an unfortunate situation for you. If you've had three procedures including nasal bone fracturing to correct the crooked appearance of your nose, my advice would be seek out a surgeon who specializes in the difficult Rhinoplasty patients (multiple procedures performed). Under these circumstances, even I would avoid taking on this challenge as you have had three failed surgeries.

Rhinoplasty vs Septoplasty to fix crooked nose?

+1

A septoplasty typically only straightens the internal cartilage and soft tissue structure between the nostrils but would not be expected to straighten the outside of the nose. This would require a rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty to rearrange the bone and cartilage, straightening the nasal bridge. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/functional-rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Crooked Nose

+1

You will need more than correction of the septum because you have deviation and asymmetry of most of the structures in your nose. Don't worry about semantics; have an experienced rhinoplasty specialist explain what needs to be done regardless of what it is called. With your history health insurance will usually help with the cost.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty for crooked nose

+1

A septoplasty is performed for breathing purposes and involves removal of bone and cartilage on the posterior portion of the nose and is considered functional and billed to the patient's insurance. The rhinoplasty involves straightening the nasal bones, and it is considered cosmetic. To straighten a crooked nose such as this, osteotomies will be required in addition to a spreader graft placed on the concave side. This will help push outwards the concave upper lateral cartilage. If the nose is been depleted of cartilage after 3 previous septoplasty procedures, then a small piece of ear cartilage would be required to be harvested. For many examples of crooked noses we have repaired in our practice, please see our rhinoplasty photo gallery link below.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/progallery/crooked_photos18.html

Crooked nose

+1

At this point, if you are bothered by your crooked nose, you will need to have a rhinoplasty to address it. Nonetheless, it is very difficult to correct a crooked nose, especially in someone who has had 3 previous septoplasties. It is doubtful there will be any usable cartilage from your septum, and your surgeon will most likely need to harvest ear and/or rib cartilage for grafts that will be necessary. You will also likely require cuts in the nasal bones called osteotomies to position them appropriately. You should be able to achieve a nice improvement, but most rhinoplasty surgeons will not promise you a perfectly straight nose. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.drjoshuazimm.com/surgical-rhinoplasty-nose-job.html