Rhinoplasty for Correcting Upper Nose Bridge and Tip?

I have a problem with the upper nose bridge area, and need to know what to do. Should I have nose implant? Also, the sides need to be narrowed a little but would digital imaging be accurate? I think the tip needs lowering as well. If the tip or under the tip were shortened, then the profile changes to almost natural-looking. Will Rhinoplasty help?

Augmentation Rhinoplasty

+1

The picture clearly shows that augmenation of the dorsum (the profile line) would be beneficial. Although synthetic material like silicone can be used, I prefer to graft the patient's own cartilage. Decreasing tip projection should be considered.

Other pictures would be necessary to answer your question about nasal width. However, rhinoplasty will definitely help.

Rhinoplasty for Correcting a Low Bridge

+1

Patients with a low bridge can benefit from augmentation rhinoplasty, in which the height of the bridge is increased to create balance between the bridge and the tip. Options for augmentation of the bridge include using either implants or cartilage grafts. Implants can have the tendency to shift. Most patients with implants do not experience any problems, but some implants have complications that include infection and even extrusion through the skin over time.

For significant amounts of augmentation of the dorsum (bridge), rib cartilage grafts are often necessary. Rib cartilage taken from the patient usually does not have the same problems as infection or extrusion.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Surgery

+1

Thanks for the picture. It is always very helpful in answering questions.

A few things first:

1) Have you ever broken your nose?

2) Have you ever had nasal surgery in the past?

3) Any breathing trouble?

Analysis of your nose: At first glance you appear to have a saddle nose deformity. This is when the bridge is somewhat collapsed. With more careful analysis I do not think this is the case. In fact I think your bridge is relatively normal but your tip is very elongated and over-rotated. This means that your tip goes out too far and the tip is too high.

I think you could achieve the best results by NOT augmenting the bridge but rather bringing the tip closer to the face and bringing the tip down a bit.

As an aside I do not like the use of synthetic implants in the nose. There is an unacceptable risk of infection and extrusion. If you were to need your bridge augmented then I would insist on a rib graft.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon