Can an ENT Surgeon Do Rhinoplasty and Turbinate Reduction in One Surgery?

I'm going for an operation to remove turbinates and I asked for a cosmetic redefintion through Rhinoplasty of my nose at the same time. Can my ENT surgeon perform these procedures?

Yes ENT surgeon can perform turbinate and rhinoplasty procedure

+1

Yes, an ENT surgeon can perform both a turbinate and rhinoplasty procedure. It is very important that the surgeon has performed thousands of cosmetic rhinoplasty surgeries to give an excellent cosmetic result. It is important not to remove your turbinates completely, to only out-fracture them and remove a very small portion. An empty nose syndrome can ensue if too much turbinates are removed. It is best to be quite conservative on turbinate surgery.

Absolutely

+1

Absolutely. ENT physicians who are board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery are specifically board certified to perform cosmetic surgery of the head and neck. Technically both procedures can be performed at the same time.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Turbinate Surgery

+1

Rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinate reduction are frequently done simultaneously. Be sure your surgeon has experience in both cosmetic and functional surgery. As with any cosmetic procedure ,make sure you clarify your aesthetic goals.

ENT surgeon for Rhinoplasty and turbinate reduction in one surgery

+1

Dear SEPTEMBER,

The vast majority of us who answer these questions are American specialists. As such I cannot answer as to the training and qualifications or lack thereof of British Plastic Surgeons or ENT's.

In the US, the vast majority of Plastic Surgeons and the vast majority of ENT's who have had additional training in facial plastic surgery are quite comfortable doing turbinate surgery as part of a rhinoplasty. As a matter of fact, rhinoplasty may involve surgery of the septum, the turbinate, the dorsum and the tip of the nose.

I ASSUME the same is true in Britain but cannot be sure.

Do NOT fall for the glossy ads, the Harley Street, London and the rest of the hype. Get the facts before having the surgery. You may wish to contact the organization governing the certification of ENT surgeons in the UK and specifically have your question answered.

Hope this was helpful. Good Luck.

Rhinoplasty and Turbinate Surgery

+1

It is very common for patients to have the nasal turbinates reduced at the same time as their rhinoplasty. Many people are suprised to learn that not all ENT, nor plastic surgeons, routinely perform rhinoplasty in their practices. Make sure that your surgeon is experienced at rhinoplasty and inquire about what percentage of the doctor's practice is devoted to nasal surgery. Other tips to help make sure you are making the right decision include:

* Viewing the Surgeons Rhinoplasty Before & After Results: Most rhinoplasty surgeons maintain a portfolio of examples of their results that compare before and after photos, and many qualified rhinoplasty surgeons have a "Results Gallery" on their websites. You can tell alot about your potential results by looking to see their previous work.

* Asking to See Simulated Results: Your rhinoplasty surgeon should analyze your pre-operative photographs with you and be able to show you graphically their intended results. Some physicians prefer to use tracing paper to overlay your photographs, while others may show your photos with computer morphing software.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Rhinoplasty

+1

You need to make sure your surgeon feels comfortable performing the cosmetic aspect. Not all ENT have experience in the cosmetic aspects and you may not want him or her to do the cosmetic aspect.

So a discussion and a look at the before and after photos is important. Every ENT can do septal work and turbinate reduction (functional aspects) but not all do cosmetic aspects.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Yes he can.

+1

ENT-Head and Neck surgeons can do both at the same time. Make sure you agree with their aesthetics so you get the kind of nose you want.