Adding Rhinoplasty with Tummy Tuck Scar Revision?

I need to have a Scar revision and Liposuction after my Tummy Tuck - for this I will only have to pay hospital costs. Can I request that I have a Rhinoplasty at the same time when he'll correct the previous Tummy Tuck? The cost of a Scar Revision seems to be high at $4000 (for only hospital costs!) which is about the same price for the Rhinoplasy. I had a Breast Reduction at the same time (good scars but they are still big!) I want mimimal down time and of course cost - paid nearly $20,000 already!

Combining Rhinoplasty with other cosmetic procedures

+1

These days, it is quite common to perform one or more cosmetic procedures at the same operation.  Which operations "can go" with another is something to discuss with your surgeon.  There is surgical judgement as to what procedureshe/she feel comfortable performing together.

The overall imperative should be safe surgery.   Does your surgeon feel it is safe in his/her hands to perform the procedures you want together.

So good luck!

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Costs of hospitalization

+1

there are basically no controls of costs of hospotalization by the surgeon when the surgeon is using a facility that he or she does not own. The costs reflect the time and the labor used during the case which are not covered during insurance operations, and where the facility is not reimbursed by your insurance carrier. They often seem disproportionate considering the time spent in the complexity of the operation. Just remember that your small procedure is competing for time in the operating room just as much as someone who is having their gallbladder removed or a kidney transplant. The hospital has deemed that these cases are more profitable, and in general, in large institutions would prefer these type of cases. So therefore, it results in a disproportionate charge for a shorter less involved procedures.

John E. Sherman, MD

Rhinoplasty and tummy tuck scar revision

+1

It appears that your surgery may indeed be too expensive because of the costs associated with the hospital. Look to a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon with his or her own outpatient ambulatory surgery center where it can be performed. The hospital costs seem quite prohibitive to your aesthetic goals. The rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time as the tummy tuck scar revision.

Combining Procedures

+1

You can combine these procedures without any added risk. Discuss the fees with your physician or his staff. In fact the total cost will probably be less than doing the procedures separately.    

Combined cosmetic procedures

+1

It is very common for multiple combined procedures to be performed in the same setting. A special task force of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommended, if possible, keeping the duration of combined cases less than 6 hours. More extended procedures are more likely to produce postoperative nausea, vomiting, bleeding, and excessive pain, warranting overnight stay. Most plastic surgeons are able to perform the combination of rhinoplasty, trunk liposuction and scar revision in under 6 hours.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Combining rhinoplasty with a scar revision

+1

It is perfectly fine to combine other procedures with a rhinoplasty.  In terms of doctor's fees, hospital costs, etc.. That differs from doctor to doctor.

Combining abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and rhinoplasty (nose job_

+1

I am not sure exactly whether your question is about combined procedures or the fees?

Yes you can combine both procedures and may want to consider lower extremity compression stockings and aor devices.

Combining these two procedures should not be a problem

+1

The concern about combining procedures usually has to do with the amount of time the person will spend under general anesthesia, or the amount of blood loss expected. If combining procedures will mean that you will be under general anesthesia for 6 hours or more, or that you might lose an excessive amount of blood, then the procedures should not be combined.

A scar revision and a rhinoplasty should not take an excessive amount of time, or cause an excessive loss of blood. Thus, these two procedures should be okay to combine. However, the only person who can really determine that is your doctor. He/ she is the only one familiar with your case and with your health issues. Only they can decide whether it is safe or not.

John Diaz, MD

No problem with doing both at the same time.

+1

You should discuss the costs with your doctor and normally the cost of an added procedure is less than if they were done separately for both the surgeon and the OR. 

Rhinoplasty with tummy tuck scar revision

+1

Tubs,

You may have rhinoplasty in-conjunction with your planned scar revision, depending on but not limited to the surgeon, your particular anatomy, anesthesia, and the goals of any proposed procedure. I am not aware of any problems of having rhinoplasty combined with another procedure.

Rhinoplasty surgery may be performed by the same surgeon as the scar revision, or a separate surgeon during the same operative time.

Speak to a plastic surgeon to consider combining the tummy tuck scar revision with rhinoplasty.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon