Rhinoplasty (Tip Work) & Septoplasty

Hi! Just had a consult to discuss having the tip of my nose refined and a slight bump removed. During the exam, the doctor said I have a deviated septum and wants me to have a cat scan done. He said he will use grafts from the septum to reinforce the tip. My question is what does a septoplasty entail? Does this add to recovery time and pain? I have no breathing problems. Just wondering if I should pursue having the rhinoplasty and the septoplasty done. Thank you.

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

+1

If you have a deviated septum it is best to correct this as part of your rhinoplasty. Many patients are not aware of their breathing problems. I once did a rhinoplasty on a professional female athlete who, like you,  was not aware of any septal problems. To make a long story short, after surgery she was amazed that she had achieved  the #1 ranking in her field with a very compromised airway. Do your septum; that procedure will not complicate your surgery or prolong your recovery.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty are often performed together. Rarely require a CT scan unless other issues are being evaluated.

+1

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty are often performed together. This is referred to as a septorhinoplasty. The septum is usually straightened if there are breathing issues or a small portion is removed to provide cartilage for grafting. If your only concerns are the appearance of your nasal tip and/ or nasal breathing, rarely would a CT scan be required. The exception would be if you have sinus disease and sinus surgery is being performed at the same time.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining rhinoplasty and septum surgery

+1

It is common to straighten the septum during rhinoplasty and also common to use septal cartilage during the rhinoplasty for grafts. It doesn't normally add extra recovery or pain to the procedure. You can learn more about septoplasty surgery at my link posted below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

+1
In the majority of rhinoplasty surgeries I perform I do septal work. This is simply a septorhinoplasty the septo part being the functional aspect the rhinoplasty being the aesthetic aspect. During rhinoplasty your nose is often thinned and while you may not have breathing difficulties now you may post surgery if the functional portion is not performed. It is pertinent in nasal surgery that the nose is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. As far as the Cat Scan some surgeons ask for them I personally have very few patients I request that on. A good examination and surgical knowledge and expertise in this field should be enough.

Michael Elam, MD

Benefits of performing a setoplasty and rhinoplasty together

+1

Patients often have both functional disturbances and aesthetic concerns when it comes to the nose. As such, an intimate knowledge of nasal anatomy and physiology is necessary to provide the best outcome. The septum provides support to the entire nose as well as nasal tip. Certain maneuvers needed to change the position of the tip (or straighten the nose) are actually performed by modifications of the septum. This structure also provides the rhinoplasty surgeon with the cartilage necessary to add refinement to the nose or strength and resiliency through grafting. Usually there is not additional pain or recovery time when performing a septoplasty and rhinoplasty together, however, there may be some additional intranasal swelling in the 1-2 weeks following the operation.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty with rhinoplasty

+1

I'm not sure of the reason for the CAT scan, however it is common to have your septum repaired at the same time as a rhinoplasty, even if you have no symptoms of nose blockage.  The reason for this is that rhinoplasty usually makes the nose smaller and sometimes narrower, and then the deviated septum might create a sensation of blockage in the smaller nose.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty

+1

It is quite common for patients to need to have septoplasty and rhinoplasty done together in the same session.  You can find answers to some of the questions in the link below

Sam Naficy, MD