After Rhinoplasty, Is The Tip Swelling or Would I Need Another Rhino? (photo)

I had open rhinoplasty 6 days ago and I wanted to fix the droop of my nose and the bridge. I'm becoming worried that the surgery has not gone well. The tip still looks droopy. How much of an improvement can I expect within the next few months if any? is it likely that I may need another rhinoplasty to fix it? I'm becoming so depressed about this. I spent around $10k to make sure I get a good surgeon but now I think I made a mistake selecting him :(

After Rhinoplasty, Is The Tip Swelling or Would I Need Another Rhino?

+1

Six days after a Rhinoplasty still with the nassl splint on makes this impossible to answer IMHO.  You should have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  It's way too soon to be thinking about revision Rhinoplasty IMHO.

Concerned about nasal appearance less than one week post rhinoplasty and with splint still on

+1

Not only are you still very early in the healing process, you have not even made it to one week ... and you still have the splint on. BE PATIENT!!

It can take up to a year for the swelling to maximally subside. At 4 -6 months you will have a better idea as to the longer term appearance. You can discuss with your doctor your concerns about the tip and appearance in general before then.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Persistent tip droop after rhinoplasty

+1

It is hard to say whether or not another rhinoplasty is indicated this soon after surgery. Your cast and early swelling make an assessment difficult. Check with your surgeon to get a better assessment once the cast is removed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tip still droopy post rhinoplasty

+1
Even though it's only 6 days I can see your point. What we don't know is how much swelling there is along the bridge. I would recommend you see your surgeon urgently ie within a day or two to discuss your concerns. The reason is that in the event you both agreed that the tip should be higher, there's a window of opportunity to go back in right away as the tissue planes will still be open inside the nose. If you wait for another couple of weeks the tissue planes will be glued shut by healing and you will then need to wait for up to a year while the tissues soften before further surgery can be done. Please understand that I don't know whether you need anything done right now. One picture is not enough to judge, and your surgeons examination and discussion with you will determine the correct action. All I am saying is go and express any concerns you have straight away without delay whilst your early healing window is open. Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Result 6 days after Rhinoplasty

+1

I understand your concern but at 6 days with a splint, it is too early to make judgements. You need to wait a few weeks to months to see the final result and discuss it with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Tip is certainly swollen at six days after rhinoplasty

+1

Though swelling is diminished by six days after rhinoplasty, you have only just begun the healing process. We can't tell much about nasal shape with the splint on, and you should give it several months before you panic.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Nose job results

+1

With a closed rhinoplasty, one can usually get a good idea of the results when the splint comes off at one week. With an open rhinoplasty, there is often more swelling in the tip so you might not see a representation of the final result when the splint comes off. Swelling comes down in the first few weeks, then continues for a whole year. It is not safe to redo a nose before one year, though many surgeons do it anyway. Once you are 2-3 months out from the surgery you will have a pretty good idea how things are going to look. Good luck.

John Alexander II, MD

Six days after rhinoplasty

+1

Hold on! You still have the splint on! You can't tell anything right now. Trust your surgeon for now. It sounds like you spent a lot of time selecting him/her. Trust your instincts. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon but you need to be patient.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Evaluating Rhinoplasty Result bfore Cast is Removed

+1

I understand your anxiety, but you win the award for the most impatient post-op individual I've seen in 35 years of doing rhinoplasty surgery. At least have the cast removed before evaluating your result. Swelling can be amazingly deceptive.