Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty? (photo)

I had a previous post and most of you asked for more pictures. I met with 4 surgens and two of the 4 surgeons recommended a tip plasty since I don't have a big hump. Please give me your opinion. Thank you in advance.

Tip plasty vs. Rhinoplasty surgery options

+1

Hi Nunu23,

Thank you for sharing your photographs. Rhinoplasty surgeons may vary in their opinions, as reflected in your consultations and what you will see in these forums. Rhinoplasty is a general terms referring to any surgery on the external nose. Tip plasty is one component of rhinoplasty. Try not to get confused by terms or names, but rather have your plastic surgeon explain (1) why your nose appears the way it does, and (2) how they plan to change its appearance.

Your submitted photographs demonstrate a wide or bulbous nasal tip, in addition to supratrip fullness from extra cartilage. While a tipplasty alone may achieve your desired results, conservative removal of cartilage of the "hump" or dorsum will also improve your profile.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty?

+1

The most important factor in selecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon is that he/she understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.  A Tip Plasty will thin the tip alone, while a Rhinoplasty would be able to reduce the supra-tip dorsal cartilage fiullness which is more evident on side view.  From a pure aesthetic standpoint, Rhinoplasty would seem more appropriate in this case, IMO.  

Rhinoplasty

+1

A photo does not reveal everything, but it looks like you can have some of the dorsum taken down and tip work as well. An intranasal exam is also essential.

Rhinoplasty

+1

The additional photos you posted do not change my response to your previous post. There is no way for any of us to tell from this side of the computer screen if you will be happier with surgery restricted to the lower third of the nose (tip) vs. surgery on the entire nose.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty or tip rhinoplasty

+1

What is needed depends on what the result is expected to look like, and from your photos the tip is underprojecting. Can this be corrected with the tip alone? My vote is 'no'. However, tip or more, the recovery and experience will be the same. Go with someone you can trust and can show results you like.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello Nunu23,

It's a rhinoplasty whether the tip, the bridge, or both get worked on.  As for you, there are a couple of non-tip issues that should be addressed to give you not only a truly nice result, but also to maintain nasal function (airflow).  These include a radix graft, spreader grafts, and septal straightening.  Doing these other 'non-tip' procedures will actually help achieve symmetry to the tip (there is a slight curve to your nose and you have asymmetric alar rims - right slightly more retracted).

I would avoid going to anyone affiliated with the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.  This board is not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties and it is not affiliated with any formal training program. Its members include virtually any MD including dermatologists, internal medicine doctors, family practitioners, emergency medicine doctors, and gynecologists.

Membership to either the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery is a minimum requirement for your prospective doctor.  Rhinoplasty is perhaps the most difficult and demanding surgery, and consistent excellent results requires extensive experience.  Seek out those that have a great reputation, and perhaps those that have a reputation for revisions, because that is even more demanding.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tip plasty is rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with Dr. Bridges.  A tip plasty is a rhinoplasty.  Make appointments for consultations with multiple surgeons.  Look at lots of before and after photos.  Board certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is preferred.  Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip-plasty is rhinoplasty

+1

I emphasize again that you are hung up in the details here.  A tip plasty is a rhinoplasty.  There is no real need to argue about what is what.  You need to find a surgeon that can listen to your wishes and formulate a plan to achieve those goals.  Whether this involves tip modification only or tip and bridge (or otherwise) modification is best left up to the surgeon at that point. Many decisions during rhinoplasty are made on the fly, keeping in mind what the goals of the surgery are at all times. The nose is best treated as a whole, not as individual parts.  You would certainly not want a surgeon who decided that you needed ONLY tip work to be limited during the surgery to that one area if he thought other areas needed modification - again assuming that those changes were necessary to achieve your overall goals.  Did any of the 4 surgeons you met with use computer imaging to explain what their aesthetic suggestions might be?  Feel free to upload your photos to my website and I'll show you what I think would be nice changes for your nose. 

I really don't get the whole discussion of tip-plasty vs rhinoplasty...

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon