DOes My Case Require Full Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty? (photo)

This is the look I'm trying to get after doing my nose. Two plastic surgens told me all I need is tip plasty and two other plastic surgens told me I have to do a rhinoplasty to get that look. Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance.

Complete rhinoplasty appears wise.

+1

Dear Nunu23

From the photo you show, it appears that you have a small bump on your nose.  This should be managed at the same time as your tip is refined to give your nose the look you want.

There are relatively few cases in which a tip-only rhinoplasty is appropriate.  Understand that the nose structure has different regions composed of different types of tissue.  The structure, appearance, and strength of one area have a bearing on the adjacent area.  Therefore, it is always important to understand all that which is abnormal to begin with, and how changing one part will affect the appearance of the adjacent part.

Generally, it is better to do everything you think is indicated in one operation rather than just do a portion of the operation and later realize that other parts should have been managed also.  Nobody loves a second trip to the operating room for yet another nose job if it could have been avoided.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Rhinoplasty vs. tip platy

+1

If the question is what do you need to get to the result you showed, the answer is you could simply have the tip done.

However, from the photos you have shown, it looks like a rhinoplasty that includes the tip as well as placing supporting grafts in the middle third of the nose, right above the tip, and possibly a hump removal if there is a hump (not clear from the photos) would provide the best result. All the best. 

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does My Case Require Full Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty?

+1

The nasal bridge doesn't appear to change and as such a Tip Plasty and not a full Rhinoplasty would be able to thin and shape the tip.

Need for full rhinoplasty vs tip-plasty

+1

It's hard to assess the need for surgery to your bridge from just looking at your oblique photo. You do appear to have some pinching of the middle third of your nose so spreader graft placement would likely help with your nasal appearance and function at the same time.

Certainly addressing your tip with rhinoplasty would also help achieve the look you present in your photograph. My preference is to discuss what you want changed and let your surgeon make a plan to address all you concerns. To best address your tip fullness I would likely recommend an open rhinoplasty approach. Often to get the best overall facial balance performing a full rhinoplasty is needed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Do I Require Full Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty? (photo)

+1

If you were to only alter the tip of your nose, the rest of your nose (the bridge) may not fit with your new narrow and defined nasal tip. From what I can tell from your photo, you do need a full Rhinoplasty to make sure the tip and the bridge flow together nicely and are symmetrical. Make sure to consult with a Rhinoplasty Specialist who can explain this very important decision to make sure you receive the ideal look that you will be happy with.

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible to say from a single oblique photo with your head in a tilted position what would be best for you. It looks like you would benefit from tipplasty. The question is I see it do you also need bridgework and I cannot tell that from the posted photo. As you have a cosmetic request need is not really the way to think about. The better question is what specific things about the nose bother you and what can be done to address those issues. You then get options of what can be done, learn the pros and cons of the options and then choose what you want done. That can only be accomplished with a face to face consultation with the surgeon which it appears you have already done. Rather than focus on the terms tip or rhinoplasty it might be better to focus on what they described as the components of the surgery such as osteotomy infracture. Then decide if you want those components.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Tip plasty or full rhinoplasty

+1

For an optimal result you'd be best to have a full rhinoplasty.  Tip plasty has a quite limited role in rhinoplasty.  The key point in educating you about the choice is this:  Every part of a nose influences the appearance of every other part. 

So, making your tip smaller, shorter and finer will have the effect of making your bridge look larger and broader.  As has already been mentioned, don't think the choice is important.  The choice you really make is whether you're motivated to improve your nasal shape or to leave it as it is.  If you make the choice to change your nose, see an experienced surgeon and don't limit their ability to provide the best possible result for you by only allowing them to undertake a tip plasty.

Good luck. 

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is rhinoplasty

+1

I wouldn't get all hung up about a "tip-plasty" vs a rhinoplasty.  It's really all rhinoplasty.  First off, you should go to a surgeon who shares your aesthetic goals.  This is why I find computer imaging so useful for cosmetic nasal surgery (and you obviously agree).  Imaging allows discussion about different changes and how they might affect the overall look.  The techniques used to achieve those goals are up to the surgeon at that point. 

With your nose, I can tell by the limited photo that you have a hump and a very narrow middle 1/3.  I would probably place grafts to prevent the middle 1/3 of the nose from becoming even more narrow after removal of the hump.  For me, the tip is the hard part anyway, so a "tip-plasty" is really the core part of rhinoplasty.  Do the whole nose.  You don't want to have to have it done again in the future.   That's my 2 cents...

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

The tip appears to be drooping and wide.  This can certainly be fixed with a tip plasty and probable strut.  The lower part of the bridge may need to be reduced, but it is impossible to aver that on the photo given.  Find a board-certified surgeon specializing in rhinoplasty and faces.  

Good luck!

David Alessi, MD