Do I Need Rhinoplasty or Just Tip Plasty?

I had rhinoplasty 9 years ago-the tip stuck out, was bulbous and cleft, also the bridge was bumpy/wide at the top It was much better but my nose is still bulbous. I've seen another surgeon (the original one retired) who says I should just have the tip reduced, as narrowing the bridge as well would make the new tip still look wide by comparison. What kind of result can I expect from a tip plasty? I'd also hate to end up with a 'piggy' look,he said this happens when the lining is damaged..? Thanks

Revision rhinoplasty requires a very experienced, expert rhinoplasty surgery

+2

Thank you for your question and photograph. I agree with others that if your nasal tip is refined by Rhinoplasty the upper portion of your nose will need to be narrowed as well.

Revision rhinoplasty is a complex art. I suggest you consult plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, very experienced in revision rhinoplasty and have an excellent reputation in your community.

Tip platy or Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty is an operation which is a sum of its parts.  The various parts of the nose need to be in good harmony.  Shoudl tip work be performed, then in all likelihood that the nasal dorsum needs to be recontoured to align with the newer tip.   The width of the nasal bones will probably need attention as well.

Welcome to the fine art of Rhinoplasty!

I have been performing Rhinoplasty for more than 20 years.  It is a procedure that you continue to learn to perform better.  IT is an operation that I respect.

There are patients where "most" of the work needs to be addressed at the tip.   Those patients require more tip work than others but still often need surgical refinement of their nasal dorsum, nasal bones, etc.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty or just Tip-plasty

+2

The tip plasty is a procedure that can be done under limited circumstances such as, when the tip is too wide relative to the rest of the nose. It is important to make sure that if tip plasty is being performed as a stand alone procedure the remainder of the nose must be within balance. This should not make the nose turn up, but just reduce the bulbosity of the tip.  

Revision Rhnoplasty

+2

If you only narrow and refine the tip, the upper 2/3 of your nose  will not be proportional. I encourage you to to consult with another physician experienced in revision rhinoplasty surgery.

You may want to have your bridge narrowed along with your tip during revision rhinoplasty surgery.

+2

I read your concern and reviewed the frontal photo you posted. Your bridge and tip appear wide, so you may want to have your whole nose narrowed at the time of surgery. Revision rhinoplasty is challenging surgery, even in the best of hands, so please choose your surgeon wisely.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty or Just Tiplasty?

+2

Hi Jana,

If you only reduce your tip, then the upper 2/3 of your nose will look big.  I would address your entire nose, not only your tip.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Secondary rhinoplasty

+2

Predicting healing in any surgery is difficult, and secondary rhinoplasty presents several challenges in healing:  previous scarring, the skin and internal lining of the nose, the cartilage, and the bone.  The best combination of procedures may unfold during the surgery despite careful planning by your surgeon.  Reducing the tip, for example, may visually make the dorsum and the upper bony area appear wide in relation to the tip.  Likewise, the plan to reduce the dorsal cartilage may now require no reduction or even a graft.

Pick your surgeon based on experience and training.  Make sure you understand all the options and how he/she would handle your problem.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty the second time around

+2

Rhinoplasty performed a second time often can address only small imperfections, though in general a second rhinoplasty is considered by most more challenging. Based on your pictures, it seems that as you refine the tip there will be changes in the balance between the tip and bridge of the nose. The open approach full rhinoplasty will give the most control and best chance for success. The tip should not rotate upwards with a sound plan in mind. A very experienced surgeon should be the best for you.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty vs Tip Plasty

+2

Hi,

Its difficult to say without seeing your profile but I would say that you should consider a revison rhinoplasty which will correct the tip and narrow the bridge. Very few patients are candidates for just a tip plasty.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty or tip plasty?

+2

From the photos you supplied I would say you need both the middle third of your nose made narrower and the tip as well. If you only do the tip, I think you won't like the bridge which will look wider. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does many revisions for the best result. Long at their revisions to see if they make noses you like.