Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty for Thinner Nose?

I'm considering having a procedure to thin my nose. In the pictures, I always turn to the side because my nose looks nice from a side angle, but you can see in my front view my nose is a bit too wide. The bridge isn't wide though (it's straight, no bumps) and because I like my side profile I'd like to avoid having my nose broken in surgery. Would a tip-plasty help? I would just ask to make the tip thinner and make it a bit more pointed. Could tip-plasty achieve a more pleasing front view or would I need Rhinoplasty?

Tip rhinoplasty will refine nasal tip but the bony vault will look too wide

+3

A tip rhinoplasty can refine your tip. Be sure to discuss with your surgeon the fact that you will likely need a cartilage graft on the tip to give a refined tip appearance-simply removing and remodelling the tip cartilage you have will be disappointing for you.

It is very important to add a tip graft and strut graft to achieve a refined nasal tip appearance.

The bony portion of your nose will look disproportionally wide after a tip rhinoplasty. You need to have the upper bony part narrowed as well so that the final result looks appropriate.

See before and after photos of rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-rhinoplasty-nose-surgery/

Tip-plasty or More?

+2

Based on looking at your photo, I would suggest that tip-plasty alone would probably not do you justice, possibly leaving you dissatisfied with your result.

To achieve an optimal result, your surgeon should consider your goals, concerns and integrate that with expertise in facial and nasal balance and proportion.

The idea of breaking the nasal bones is intimidating to many patients, but don't sell yourself short by placing restrictions on techniques before a proper analysis and recommendations by an expert.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tip-plasty is a Rhinoplasty

+2

A Rhinoplasty is a complex operative procedure with the goal of creating a harmonious beautiful balanced nose. There are multiple components of the nose that create the overall appearance. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon makes a series of decisions concerning what part of the nose requires modification and how to accomplish this. There are infinite possibilities that come together to produce a beautiful proportional nose.

It is very rare that a nose will appear attractive and harmonious if only the tip is narrowed. There is a complex relationship between the upper boney third of the nose, the middle cartilage portion, and the tip. Most patients require modification of all three parts.

Seek out an experienced cosmetic plastic surgeon, who will evaluate your entire nose and avoid a surgeon who focuses only on the tip.

Good luck and enjoy a beautiful new you.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to Create Balance and Proportion

+1

The results of rhinoplasty surgery are dependent upon correct analysis of nasal aesthetics in the pre-operative period. This analysis is virtually impossible without a physical examination or pictures taken from multiple angles.

In addition, aesthetically attractive noses have harmony, balance and proportion. In other words, all the parts fit together to give an attractive appearance.

Although you’re primary concern appears to be your nasal tip, your pictures suggest that your nasal bridge may be as wide as well. If this is true, infracture of the nasal bones will be a necessary component of any successful rhinoplasty.

Under these circumstances, an isolated tip rhinoplasty might adversely impact facial aesthetics. Refining the tip might actually make the nasal bridge look wider and ultimately create a deformity.

For these reasons, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with rhinoplasty experience is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tip-plasty vs. Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question and your photo. First, a tip-plasty is really a kind of rhinoplasty (just without modification of the bridge or nasal bones). In this kind of limited rhinoplasty, the recovery tends to be a bit faster and there is less bruising. Second, the art of rhinoplasty is about balancing form and function, and creating a harmonious three-dimensional structure.  Reducing the size of your nasal tip could be aesthetically pleasing. However, it may disrupt the balance of your nose -- making the bridge look overly wide.  In select cases, it is possible to narrow the bridge without changing its projection (the side view). This type of rhinoplasty is technically challenging but can give you a great result. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/open-rhinoplasty.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing the nose

+1

Kristal, thank you for your question and for sharing your photo.  Your concerns are quite common for patients inquiring about rhinoplasty.  Your tip and the refined using some common tip techniques.  I would however probably recommend narrowing your nasal bones to achieve better harmony with the potential changes to the tip.  This can be demonstrated using computer imaging during your consultation.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Thinner Nose

+1

The decision about whether to limit the surgery to just the tip or to do some minor work to the bridge needs to be made in conjunction with your surgeon and you. However, given what you have described, more than likely limited tip work, which would include refining the tip and conservatively rotating up the nasal tip and reducing its tendency to get pulled down with smiling, would be sufficient.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a thinner nose

+1

Rhinoplasty is a popular and effective surgery to recontour the shape of your nose. There are many techniques that a surgeon to perform during your rhinoplasty. They can use suture or remove a small portion of cartilage change the shape of your nasal tip and make it more narrow or more defined. If the middle portion of nose is your biggest concern, they can move your nasal bones to change their shape and make your nose more narrow. For best results, you should only work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great till of experience in rhinoplasty, tip suturing and cartilage grafting techniques.

Rhinoplasty is better option

+1

A tip plasty is only performed to reduce the thickness and width of the actual nasal tip itself. A full rhinoplasty is done to improve the entire nose including the tip and the bridge. It appears that your bridge is also wide as well as the tip, and it appears that the entire rhinoplasty should be performed based on the pictures presented.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Nasal Balance

+1

I have on occasion done only a tip-plasty. However, it is impossibe to give you a definitive answer without seeing a full set of nasal pictures. You don't want a narrower tip that is then out of proportion with the rest of the nose. Have a thorough examination with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.