Can I Do Rhinoplasty on the Tip and Sides of my Thick Skinned Nose?

Hi, i am 19 years old and have a very fleshy nose. my nose skin is pretty thick too. i and fine with my nose bridge the size of my nostrils though. Will it be possible to cut away some of the fats at the sides and tip of my nose if my nose skin is thick? Also, my nose is pretty big, so will this surgery be very obvious to my friends and family? i'm planning on doing this without telling anyone, and yes, i do have enough money for it.

Nasal tip surgery and refinement

+2

There are many techniques available to thin the nasal tip.  In some patients, especially african-americans there  can be a very thick fibrofatty pad that is causing some degree of bulkiness to the nasal tip.  This fibrofatty tissue can be thinned down with care and cartilage grafting can be done to help define the tip.  It there is a wide flare to the nostrils these can also be reduced.  A photograph would be beneficial in determining if any of these techniques are appropriate in your particular situation.  

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Thick Skin

+2

A patient with thick skin can significantly improve the appearance of their nose without achieving an ideal, defined contour. It will also take longer to heal following surgery but this may be an advantage for you who does not want to tell anybody. Consult with an experienced surgeon to establish reasonable goals.

Rhinoplasty for the thick skinned nose.

+2

For 35 years I have removed considerable tissue under the skin to thin the nose. No one will be able to tell. 

+2

The nose can be reduced in size through reducing and reshaping cartilage but not removing skin.  Some of the soft tissue envelope can be thinned conservatively as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Rhinoplasty results compromised by thick skin.

+2

Anyone with thick skin needs to scale down their expectations of a rhinoplasty. The definition reflecting the changes in the cartilage and bone are muffled by the thickness of the skin. There's no reliable way to make the skin thinner.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,25-atlanta-rhinoplasty.htm

Talk To A Surgeon In Person

+1

I recommend talking to a surgeon for an in person consultation. That way you can decide some realistic goals and truly see how noticeable it would be to friends and family.

Rhinoplasty Concerns

+1

It is hard without photos. In general, a well done rhinoplasty is not obvious to friends and family and still looks like "your nose" when we are done. I will say that as a general rule, the thicker the skin, the harder it is to get a great result. Your best option, given what you describe, would be for an appointment with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does computer imaging as a part of the initial consultation. This way you will have an idea about what the result will look like, and can make sure that it is what you desire. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

+1

There are multiple maneuvers that can be performed at the time of the rhinoplasty  to narrow a wide nose. Osteotomies are performed to narrow wide nasal bones while tip suturing techniques and cartilage removal will narrow the tip itself.  And alar-plasty will reduce the width of the nostrils as well. Its best to seek out several consultations with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/progallery/widenasal_photos07.html